1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD a return to the High Street

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by foghorn, Sep 22, 2005.

1. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Over the last couple off years many High Street AV retailers have abandoned or significantly reduced the choice of LCD projectors in favour of DLP will the new batch of high spec LCD projectors make a return to High street?

Foghorn

2. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No, to be competitive you have to buy really big, accept making wafer thin 'margins' and dealing with the big Japanese players. It's too much for most retailers to stomach.

Realistically batches of 30+ are the only economic way of doing things, so that's how we do it!

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think Fogs is making the point that by and large any hight street retailers who do push PJs push DLP only and dismiss the idea of LCD.

IMHO this new batch of LCDs will remove any lingering doubts about the credentials of LCD projectors. The playing field will be level in all respects... except price... I think DLP manufacturers have a fight on their hands to retain market share if they don't make similar advances. Which is great! ...PJ :)

4. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love to see a definitive review of stated contrast levels and achievable contrast levels.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes, so would I. If a typical DLP's 2000:1 stated CR surpassed a new LCD's stated 5000:1 (or above) CR someone should be hauled up for misrepresentation. I was careful to say level playing field, not that LCD's would provide better contrast than DLP.

But take away VB and the SD/pixel-fill situation and the case for DLP being "better" starts to wear thin, especially when you bring the pricepoint of a WXGA machine into the equation. Hence I hope DLP manufacturers "pull their finger out" and make my decision on an upgrade (in a year or three) very difficult indeed. If I were doing it now, it seems a no-brainer to me...PJ :)

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Stryker,

Unfortunately most UK magazine reviewers haven't a clue about how to take these readings or calibrate a projector, so it's unlikely we'll see true figures out of the box, or better still, figures to D65. Currently we have to rely mostly on the US avsforum for this info (or cine4home for example) or on people here if they have the time and/or gear to do it. Generally, you can reduce lumen and contrast output by 40% and you won't be far wrong.

Gary.

7. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    What we need to see really is 2 sets of contrast figures ANSI & On/Off, and @ D65 ideally.

However if they did that LCD would start to look a bit deficient on the ANSI side. DLP truly has LCD beaten on ANSI contrast (even with the new D5 panels), somewhere in the region of a factor of 2 or 3 better I seem to recall.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Good point Zag.

ANSI is quite important for how well we see shadow detail in images with both bright and dark components in the same frame, so it can be more important than on/off in some respects. A dark forground like a wooded area with a bright moon in one corner may end up reducing the foreground to a dark smudge with little detail, and examples like that are quite common.

Having seen some very nice CRTs recently, I feel that CR over say 3500:1 will not reveal any more detail (as it isn't there in the source IMHO), but just improve the black level. I've seen it said that the actual cameras that are used for movie making are only capable of 1000:1 CR and anything above that is often down to processing in the lab (i.e darker blacks to improve the overall CR). When I saw the Sim2 C3X it did seem to have improved shadow detail compared to the CRTs and I can only put this down to the ANSI capabilities, and possibly due to the brighter image.

ANSI is also a product of the room - light coloured walls will reflect the bright moonlight that is reflected onto it from the screen back to the screen and wash out the shadow detail, so to take advantage of the 600+ ANSI that some DLPs are capable of means you have to have a room that has dark coloured walls and is non reflective.

Gary.