LCD 55" versus monitor 24"

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by barbegame, May 7, 2018.

1. barbegame

barbegame
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello!
    I'm interested in buying a 55 "LCD from Philips, the 7303. My concern is that I do not know at all how windows10 will display since currently I open my OS on a monitor 24" and that when I have text to read, it is always too small and I have to enlarge in the settings. So who can make me see or understand if this problem will be better with a 55 "LCD." Namely, my pc is equipped with a graphics card asus 1080 gtx, so good for the 4k.
    Moreover, if I connect the pc via hdmi for video and via optical cable for audio, will video quality suffer as the hdmi is not used for audio transport?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    By default the text on a Windows 10 PC uses a fixed number of pixels so the size of text is determined by the size of the pixels.

The size of the pixels is determined by both the size of the screen and it's resolution. It's generally measured in DPI, with higher DPI being smaller pixels.

You don't say what the resolution of your current 24" monitor is, but the most common one in recent years has been 1920x1080.

3840x2160 (UHD or 4K in TV terminology) is exactly double the diagonal resolution of 1920x1080, so a text will be the same size on a screen of that resolution that is double the physical size - i.e. 48".

A 55" 3840x2160 screen will have the same size text as a 27.5" Full HD Screen.

That is assuming equal viewing distance, obviously if you place the TV further away it's going to look smaller. You may find a 55" TV is too large at normal monitor viewing distances for applications such as games that use the whole screen.

Only audio quality will suffer if you use two separate leads, assuming your source could use the higher bandwidth of HDMI (and you're picky enough to notice the tiny difference).

3. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    You don't mention what amp you have but if it does support hdmi you can run one cable from the pc to the tv/monitor and one HDMI to the amp. If the amp supports hd audio then you would get it that way.

4. barbegame

barbegame
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    EndlessWaves & ChuckMountain, Thanks!