1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD 32" with integrated freeview advice please?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Saralikesjazz, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Saralikesjazz

Saralikesjazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must haves: slight swivel at base, very good sound quality with, preferably, detachable speakers, integrated freeview (after last night's Toppy mheg fiasco) and be HD ready (whatever that means). I've tried surfing for these requirements, but not having much luck. Please help.
    How far away is HDTV in north London for someone who's not ever going to be a Sky subscriber?
    Thanks
    Sara

2. luke_1983uk

luke_1983uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    toshiba 32wlt58
    very very happy with mine
    so are others

3. Saralikesjazz

Saralikesjazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but are the speakers detachable, and does the pedestal base swivel, or must you move the whole screen?
    S

4. luke_1983uk

luke_1983uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    the speakers are located at the bottom of the screen you cant really see them.
    and the screen comes with a cabinet stand no extra fee, if you dont need it, it also comes with a swivel stand aswell
    check out some of the pictures in the 32wlt58 thread

5. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic TX32LXD500 doesn't have detachable speakers, but they sound excellent and a integrated into the design. The base swivels 20 degrees either way.

It is fully HD ready with 1 x HDMI connector

6. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LG 32LP1D and the panny 500 , both have all you want except for the detachable speakers.
    Can be seen/demoed, like the at ask electronics in tottenham court road. If you buy they - demand their web price, which is easily £70/100 quid less.

7. Saralikesjazz

Saralikesjazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Needs have changed a bit - and urgency increased. No longer want integrated freeview - think I understand it will be useless when BBC starts HD freeview testing soon? Still need HD ready and MUST have swivel at base, but no longer want detachable speakers - got me KEF KHT 2005.2s - and me Yamaha AVR RX-V1500 all ready to roll. Want best possible picture for freeview via the TF5800PVR. Should I buy online or at a store - is guarantee a big deal? I'm having a lot of trouble finding out which LCD 32s have swivel bases - don't want a huge stand or a wall swivel, or an electric swivel. Please help - I'm only a girlie and I'm getting really fed-up and bored with trying to decide what to buy, and where.
    Sara

8. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG 32LP1D has a swivel base, has freeview, no detach speakers. Great for PC connectivity too. I have one - works great.

Hitachi 32LD7200 has a motorised swivel and detachable speakers. Dunno about if it has freeview. A significant amount of users complain that it make buzzing sounds. Know theyself - can you live with that?

Warranty: as a general rule, extended warranties are a ripoff. If you can get it at less than 10-15% of the price of the telly it might be worth it for two or three extra years peace of mind. Put it this way, if you telly packs in after 13 months (UNLIKELY) - can you afford to shell out for a new one?
    Don't forget, you have 1 year manufacturer warranty. For electronic components the rate of failure is high in the first few months, then drops off dramatically and goes up again after a few years, so an extended warranty probably isn't worth it.

http://edgefactor.com/images/applecare/bathtub_curve.png

The red line is what extended warranties usually cover, nothing else (no wear and tear, no accidents)

Also, these LCD toys are being improved upon so quickly that they depreciate/become obsolete quickly.

Buying from an online store: figure out how much hassle it's going to be to have it sent back under warranty. Are you going to have to sort out the return - will you pay for it? Either way, physical or online, go with a reputable bunch that gives you the least hassle when things go bad.

9. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Loewe Spheros is a nice screen great picture, and looks rather nice. Indeed my wife has fallen for it too. Has a swivel base if you choose that option, speakers are built in. Comes with a range of options freeview and/or due digital/sat tuners; and I believe early next year will be releasing a High Definition tuner, but as we are only likely to receive High Def in the near future over sat then will need something like sky anyway so not so important. Check out the loewe link: http://www.loewe-uk.com/spheros_r32_de,0,53.html

Cheapest two stores I have found are, and incidently probably can supply via online are:
    1. http://www.petermartin.co.uk/
    2. http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/section.php?xSec=86

They show the xelos models online but for the spheros and spheros pricing you will have to email them. They get back to you quickly and are very friendly. Last I looked petermartin was cheaper but you can always ask them to price match each other. Note tvandvideodirect do a whole range of screens and are some of the most reasonable I have seen online - the contact centre - a guy called anthony, is a decent chap and will give you honest advice (not necessarily about the most expensive).

Oh yes whatever you see on both these - you could use their prices and see if John Lewis will price match; possibly with a cheaper warranty thrown in

10. BenchyUK

BenchyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,818
    I recomend two LCD's. First is the Panansonic tx-32lxd500. Fantsatic LCD but does have built in Freeview.

The other is the Hiatchi 32LD7200. It doesn't have built in Freeview, has has a Swival Base which can be controled using your TV Remote. Has Both HDMI and DVI sockets. It's in High Definaition but has speakers connected to the screen which can be taken off.

I have seen the PQ and it is amazing and can be picked up on the net for as little as £1,250