1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD 32"; Buying Sharp, anything else coming up?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AlanDL, Aug 5, 2004.

1. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After waiting an interminable amount of time for a suitable LCD (please no Plasma debates!), I have decided that I will (most probably) buy the Sharp LC-32GD1E Titanium series. I have seen it in 2 different JLs, at obviously inflated price, but no doubt will get this cheaper before long. This LCD meets my requirements (unless told otherwise) of being true 16:9 panel, integrated Freeview, with a digital input (DVI). I would have preferred it not to have a separate tuner box, but I can live with that. Can also live with the colour; actually goes with our wallpaper which has a gold squarey theme!

Firstly, does anyone know of anything coming up to compare with it, eg is the Samsung 32" eventually going to have an integrated Freeview tuner. The Panasonic Viera 32" doesn't have a true 16:9 screen, nor DVI/HDMI, the Sony doesn't have DVI/HDMI and is expensive, the Toshiba has just been relaunched, again no Freeview or DVI/HDMI. The Philips also does not have integrated Freeview, but not sure of DVI/HDMI. Is there anything I've missed: what about a new JVC?

And can anyone tell me whether the Sharp will be able to display an analogue signal; I still like good old teletext, although I did see somewhere about it having a teletext circuit, whatever that is. Just in case they turn the digital revolution off, it would be useful to have it analogue as well (although I could use any one of a number of analogue tuners in our VCRs etc).

All need now is that elusive DVD twin digital recorder/HDD with DVI/HDMI to go with it.

2. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    One thing I've noticed about the previous version of the screen (LC-32AD1E ) is the significant delay in the broadcast compared with other screens on display. I suppose this is caused by the processing going on to make the picture look better, but this could really affect games playing and computer use if you're going to use it fo that.

Anyone else noticed it? It's not hard to spot in a shop...

3. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My LC-32GD1E should be arriving next week, so should be able to give a good testing of it then.

4. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be very interested to hear how you get on. Does anyone know whether the signal that comes out of the tuner box is digital or analogue; in other words, is there a Digital/Analogue/Digital conversion going on to get the signal from the tuner box to the panel?

5. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i understand the digital tuner is in the box, so the analogue signal goes into the AV box and the box then sends the digital TV channels up to the TV. The AV box has a digtal ariel in and out as well as the analogue in (unsure where you'd use the digital ariel connections)

6. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen that Toshiba is bringing out a new LCD 32" in October, with HDMI (although it doesn't look like it has a digital tuner): it is also black, rather than silver trimmed as with the current "new" one.

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Don't know what you budget is, but Loewe (pronounced Lurve :eek: ) has two models in their range. The Spheros (sp?) and Xelos SL. Im still trying to get my head around their range, but they seem pretty configurable to me with options like built in digital tuners and hard disc recorders. Anyone that I have spoken to that has owned a Loewe TV has expressed how got the picture quality has been. Hopefully the same will apply to their LCD's. Availability soon so I am told, prices starting >£3?00 for the Xelos SL and quite a bit more for the Spheros.

8. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian. I am aware of them, but hadn't seen anything about having digital tuners or hdmi. Maybe when I'm in London next I'll get to Harrods to see if they are around; price puts me off a bit!

9. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James; hope you have got your set; had a chance to set it up? Any good?

10. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently demand is high for these things, hope thats a good sign. They are telling me i should be getting it late this week or early next. The waitings the worse bit!!!

11. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me which stores are demoing this screen as it would be great to see it in the flesh. Definitely top of my list too. Also, is the colour more gold than silver?

12. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its hard to find one on display, i was told by sharp that John Lewis was stocking them, only to find out the only John lewis that had one on display was in Bristol (Im in Reading) I finally found one in CF Lakes in Bracknell. You may have to do some phoning around, call up your local TV Shop and they should see on there compters which of there branches have it in. The colour i find lovely its not really gold, more a dark greeny silver, if that helps.

Just been told i will have mine on Tuesday!!!

13. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Almost certainly you have been comparing an analog broadcast with a Freeview digital one. And a 2 second (or so) delay is true of all Freeview signals, regardless of the device used to receive/display.

15. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the Sharp at 2 John Lewis stores: one at Cheadle, and one at Bristol (low down near the floor). It is dark goldish in colour, but has a black inset, which ensures it is not garish. I would prefer black (I think in long-term this neutralises the style and makes it dateless), but this not really a problem.

Saw new Samsung 32" in Curry's; have it on sale for £2k: looks great, DVI input, but no integrated freeview. Also not sure of the true ratio of the screen. Have Samsung ever done an integrated LCD?

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm pretty sure the Loewe LCDs use Sharp panels...