1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd 17 inch help

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by speedfreak, Nov 10, 2003.

1. speedfreak

speedfreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys. This is my first post so be nice. i am after a 17 inch widescreen lcd for my bedroom, or 15inch if it means better quality. i have about 600 max to spend, so i was wondering which one to go for.

There is a 17 inch widescreen lg that seems ok, but is there anything else that is good?.

Conor

2. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Speedfreak, I would recommend the 17" Grundig widescreen...£499 from Dixons or Currys. Good set, good connections and excellent picture.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    The 17" Relisys has had good reviews and you can get it for around £450.

Richersounds have them on display and I am hoping to get a demo this week.

Do a search for RLT1720 on this forum, as there is a really good write up on it!

4. MCB

MCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the relisys for a few weeks now and do not regret buying it one bit.
    Recommend feeding it a good signal, either S-Video or component and you'll be very pleased with the resulting picture.
    To buy online, try www.nexnix.co.uk, www.dabs.com and now Richer Sounds.

One thing it can't cope with is Scarts (though you can of course buy adaptors etc) or RGB.

5. speedfreak

speedfreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, as i'm a n00b, can someone please explain the differences in the variour connections. component, composite, scart and what rgb is all about.

thanks,

Conor

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    I went down to Richer Sounds today to have a play with their Relisys. I took my Xbox and used the component input for the test.

I was pleasently surprised.. The Picture is very good and I would say better than I expected.. Problem is that I couldn't test the 'TV' mode, as they didn't have an aeria.

However whilst the PQ is good, there is no getting away from the fact that its an LCD. The picture is very much like what you get when looking at a laptop.. its good, but no where near as good as a CRT.

Whilst its acceptable, I still can't get my head around spending £450 for something which can't perform like a CRT is wasteful.

Still, I am tempted to buy on from Richersounds, try it out "in home" and take it back if it doesn't live upto expectations!

7. MCB

MCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what you are saying as CRT produces one of the best quality pictures around and all the "new" technologies have some way to catch up.

Everyone will have their own reason for compromising slightly on the picture quality and still go for an LCD screen.
    For me it was down to the space I had available for a TV to go. Mine is used in our conservatory and is sat on the windowsill, so obviously depth was a major factor.
    Also managed to wangle having the Sony DAVS550 system in there as well.
    MY house now has a Screen One and a Screen Two, which is very handy when you have kids and they want to watch Finding Nemo and I want to watch something else. Godsend!!

To sum up, CRT picture is better than LCD, but is the drop in quality acceptable considering all the benefits of having a slim flat panel?
    Only you can answer that. Good Luck! :smashin:

8. Fatbloke

Fatbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So where are all the widescreen CRTs under 20" ??

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    I don't think that there are any small 'Widescreen' TVs.. But thats not the point.

£450 for a 17" TV is a lot, widescreen or not.

If you bought a 21" 4:3 CRT TV you would be able to display a 16:9 image larger than 17" anyway and you can get 21" TVs for less than £100.

Sure, doing it this way is not as tidy as a 17" LCD Widescreen, but the PQ that you would get, even on a cheap CRT would outperform ANY LCD TV on the market.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking LCDs.. Its just that I am finding it hard to justify spending £450 on a TV which is only a few inches bigger than what I have now, which won't perform half as well.