1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD 17' and xbox gaming

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Relica, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Relica

Relica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am new to the avforums so hello all. I have read through some of the posts here but can't find the exact answer I want.

I have been kicked out of the living room due to taking over the panasonic 28' for xbox use. I am now thinking what my alternatives are for my study upstairs.

I want a small LCD widescreen TV that I can use with a PC and computer about 17'. Please could someone advise me if a LCD would be suitable with the xbox and in the future xbox360 and also for use with the PC.

Thanks in advance :)

2. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    have a look at a toshiba 20wl56.

3. Relica

Relica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I have done a search for the model you suggest and it has RGB scart for my xbox which is great.

The other model i have my eye on is one supplied by Evesham it is a 23' lcd and it says it is HD ready but the scart doesn't say it supports RGB.

Please could you advise me will HD be better than RGB setups and will the xbox 360 be able to be used through a HD LCD.

I want a combination monitor that I can use for gaming and the computer.

I went into currys today and saw PES5 on a LCD screen and it wasn't a pretty sight compared to a normal tv will RGB and HD help produce a better picture for games like pes and halo?

4. Relica

Relica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided on two models to act as a PC monitor and tv for my xbox 360 gaming. Below is each model with their specifications. Please could the experts advise me which one would give me the best picture and options.

The first has RGB and the second claims to be HD ready. Both have had good reviews I think. Your help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Toshiba 20WL56

Visible screen size (cm): 51
    Screen format: 16:9
    Display technology: LCD
    Display resolution: W XGA (1366x768)
    Contrast ratio: 800:1
    Brightness (cd/m2): 450
    Comb filter (3D/Digital)
    Progressive scan
    Selectable picture format
    Auto format (WSS)
    Fastext
    Text page memory
    NICAM stereo
    Sound output (RMS) W: 10
    Selectable sound
    Component video
    RGB: 1
    SCART: 2
    Front/side AV input
    PC Input
    S - Video Input
    Headphone

Evesham (Tatung) 27" LCD TV

Width (mm): 537
    Height without ped. Stand (mm): 383
    Height with ped. Stand (mm): 425
    Depth without ped. Stand (mm): 92
    Power Consumption (Stand-by): <3W
    It offers high performance and wide screen 15 : 9 aspect ratio image
    HDTV ready (Compatibility with high-definition video sources up to 720p/1080i via D-sub connector).
    Supports up to 1280 x 768 resolution
    High Brightness and Contrast Ratio
    Built in speakers
    Super Wide viewing Angle 170o
    2 Scart
    Teletext
    PIP under PC mode
    Automatic Program Search
    Child Lock
    Sleep Timer
    Auto Power Off
    16ms response

5. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    the best quality your going to get from a UK unmodded xbox is RGB scart. The xbox 360 premium pack includes a component lead and will show 'hi def' images 720p and 1080i so look for a TV which supports this resolution.

sounds like the set you are after needs to have: component input (NOT composite) RGB scart and a pc vga input.

personally, i'd be weary of the 15.9 aspect ratio set as it's not the normal widescreen 16.9.

I have a Toshiba 27wl56 but it doesn't have separate 'component' input so i am going to use the vga xbox 360 lead and use my tv's pc input, as i dont connect a pc to it.

the best connections best to worst are HDMI/DVI, Component, RGB scart, S-video, scart and Composite. It's best not to judge PQ of Tv's in 'currys' and the like as they often have the same signal split between lots of TV's and the results are pretty awful as you saw.

Finally, find a set with a low response time, you should be looking for 16ms max.

Another set which comes to mind is the 23" samsung LCD (cant remember the model...sorry) Microsoft are using these to 'show off' the xbox360.....might be worth checking that out too.

sorry for rambling!!!

6. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    Samsung LE23R41B. There is also a 26" version, the LE26R41B/LE26R41BD.

7. Relica

Relica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last couple of questions before I take the plunge and buy one of the following LCD's as recommended by the experts in here.

Will both sets give me a good Xbox 360 picture. Are they capable of HD and will the response times be quick enough for the xbox. I will also use the LCD as a monitor.

Toshiba 20WL56

Samsung LE23R41B

I will order in the next couple of days but not sure which one.

8. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    they both seem ok, you need to find what the response times are on each set before buying.

I reckon the samsung styling is better but may be big a bit big on your desk as a computer monitor?? try a veiw them both in the flesh and in action.

when it comes to parting with $$$ it's down to you which one to go for!

9. Relica

Relica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the advice. I just can't find the response time for either, even after looking on their own websites. No reiveiws about too.

Does anyone use them for gaming here?

10. Relica

Relica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after all this I have decided to go back to the lounge and play my xbox 1 and 360 through my crt widescreen.

Never, have I been so confused with the technical advice available. It appears that LCD screens cannot display good xbox gaming pictures because of lag and ghosting e.t.c unless I pay over 500 for a HD ready LCD (cant afford that)

All I wanted was a combination monitor and gaming LCD at around 19 - 23 Inch but the websites and indeed the manufaturers websites don't offer the correct advice. I have been trying to find the response time od the two models suggested above for two days but just keep meeting dead ends. I have a headache due to three days of searching and total confusion but at least I have saved £400.

Thanks for the advice all.