Quantcast

LCD 16:9 or 4:3

J

jonwilde

Looking at a 20 to 23 inch LCD screen should I go for widescreen or full screen, I will be using it for mainly watching sky and playing the occasional DVD's.

Thanks Jon

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Widescreen, then.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Because virtually all DVDs, apart from those of older TV programmes and a large part of Sky's output are in widescreen. It's a shame to waste those extra inches. Even with CRT sets I can't think of a good reason for buying 4:3 any more.

calscot

Standard Member
I agree, if you've got a digital tv signal then it's mostly broadcast in widescreen and most DVD's are. With 4:3 you'd have to watch it in letterbox mode with black bars top and bottom or in pan scan mode where the sides of the picture are just chopped off.

The former means you'd be better off with a 16:9 as it would be neater and take up less space and the latter means you're missing out on an important part of the picture.

You'd need about a 10% bigger diagonal size for a 4:3 to give the same size widescreen picture as a 16:9. So if you want to watch widescreen at 17" diagonal you would need a 19" 4:3 which would cost more than the equivalent 17" 16:9.

calscot

Standard Member
Go for a 23" Philips or JVC at £974 or £1118 respectively. I plan to but would prefer the JVC so waiting for availability and a price drop to the level of the Philips.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by jonwilde
so why dont Sony produce a 21" 16:9 screen, any ideas ?
Probably a question best asked of Sony. But most of other other 'big names' and many lesser brands have 16x9* screens at various sizes, starting at 15, 17, 22/23, 26/27 and up.

(* actually, some are 15x9).