LC32P50E Review - HCC 32" LCD Group Test

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by dkboy22, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    December's Home Cinema Choice - 32" LCD Group Test:
    Loewe Concept L32 - 5* - 90% - excellent PQ, design and audio - Best Buy
    Sharp LC32P50E - 5* - 87% - stunning with SD, HD exceptionally good - Editor's Choice
    Sony KDLV32A12U - 4* - 76% - unnatural & flat PQ, average audio, expensive
    Philips 32PF5520D - 3* - 67% - dull design, average PQ & audio

LC32P50E conclusion - "The stunning performance with all standard resolution sources suggests that the scaling-free, 540-line approach has some merit. We've never seen cleaner, more natural standard-def pictures for under £1200, and though HD pictures don't have the same sharpness as on higher resolution screens, they still look exceptionally good."

I've got the LC37P50E & couldn't be happier with it. Great SD PQ and couldn't tell the difference when running HD material against other "HD Ready" sets. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially at some of the on-line prices I've seen.

2. Gordon D

Gordon D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got my 32" for £764 and couldn't be happier! just out of interest how much does the "Loewe Concept L32" cost??

3. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    2 up / 2 round..........if 540 is good on the P50E, and the posts of owners seem to suggest it is very good for SD. Then if 1080p panels use simple scaling of doubling 540 to 1080 then the PQ of SD could be as equally good.

It would be interesting to hear comments about SD PQ on the Philips 37PF9830 (1080i) with 576i component input (not sure if 576p would be as good)........I have read the 37PF9830 thread and opinion is divided over SD playback, perhaps it scales 576 lines to 1080.

btw PAL starts out at 625 lines, then becomes 576 lines and is now 540 lines, are the last 36 lines just cropped? Or does the P50E use, dare I say it internal scaling?

4. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The L32 is quoted as £1800 in the review! :eek: Even on-line, I don't think you can buy it for less than £1600. You can get the 32P50 for less than half that price!

5. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No internal scaling - the 36 lines are cropped - I don't think these will be missed anyway due to overscan - I certainly haven't missed it on my P50 watching 'normal' telly.

6. rane

rane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dkboy,

how have you experienced the remote/menus? (ive read they're way too slow)

The only things that still keep me from getting a P50E, is that i most likely cant connect a HTPC in acceptable PQ. Or can i? (only gonna use divx-viewing and occational web-browsing, maybe pc games)

7. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    They can be very slow indeed and trying to rush things can cause the odd glitch, but you get used to it.

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    No problems with remotes or menus on my 37P50E, although changing terrestrial TV channels is a bit slower than I'd like but I rarely need to as I have Sky anyway.

9. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not had any problems with the remote or menus on mine - speed seems ok.

Regarding PC connection, the only decent way is via the HDMI, which I've tried. Of course, the P50's weren't meant to take PC input due to the lack of VGA and the 960x540 resolution. However, this is my experience taken from a previous thread:

On the PC, I've got an Asus graphics card with DVI out and using a free download called Powerstrip (http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm) to set the resolution and scan rates.

1920 x 1080 - displays full screen and great for movies and HD material, but normal windows text is unreadable due to scaling down to 540 lines. Resizing fonts is a possible solution.

1280 x 720 - again fine for DivX movies and HD stuff but scaling caused problems with windows text.

960 x 540 - this is the native resolution of the P50 panel so should give the best results. However, I can't get the it to display full screen (too narrow) despite spending ages adjusting scan rates etc in Powerstrip. Also, I lose the signal when switching inputs on the LCD. Have to unplug and re-insert the HDMI cable to get the PC picture back.

928 x 522 - ended up using this as text looked OK and was stable when switching between inputs on the LCD.

Hope this helps.

10. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    How does the P50E handle NTSC feeds, these have 480 lines?

Does it scale to 540, or leave black bands top and bottom?

11. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can get full screen on NTSC playback, depending on the display mode, so there's obviously some scaling involved. Of course, PQ is not as good as PAL due to the PAL specific resolution but decent nonetheless.