1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LC32GD1E noisy fans. Is it just mine?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Humbug, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Humbug

Humbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Sharp LC32GD1E and mounted it on the wall with a flat (25mm) mount. The fans in the screen are intrusively loud and are on all the time, and are annoying whenever there is a quiet(ish) moment. Is it just mine? or are they all like this. The right hand one is warm compared to the left hand one, but both are the same noise level. The fan in the AV box is also quite loud but nowhere as loud as the two in the screen. I thought that LCD screens ran cold and only Plasma screens suffered fan noise.

2. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine are quite loud too. At night, listening at really low level (when the family is asleep), they are very noticeable. It's a bit disappointing in a tv with this sort of price tag. It's a great tv, but the fan noise does bug me.

3. paulduckworth

paulduckworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that mine aren't on all the time, but when they are it can be a little annoying at low volumes

4. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I find them noisy too. If you're brave enough you could try and replace them with quieter ones.

5. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yep they are noticeable :(
    Mine are on all the time - real shame as it detracts from the otherwise stunning LCD

6. Humbug

Humbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies, I don't feel quite so bad now that I know that I haven't bought a duff one, although I too feel that an excellent TV is let down by something that could have been easily prevented. Mark88 - If you find quieter fans please let me know make/model and I will swap mine too.

7. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Just be careful if you do swap your fans as it will probably void the warranty !!!
    Perhaps all us Aquos owners should lobby Sharp and get them to change the fans for silent ones !!

8. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  9. Humbug

Humbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm all for that!!!

10. Humbug

Humbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just sent the following mail to Sharp, lets see if I get any reply. I will post it here if I do. Please feel free to complain to them too.

Hi there, I have just (7 days ago) bought one of the above TVs. I think that it is a great TV overall but I must say that I am disappointed by the level of noise from the fans (which are on constantly). This quite loud sound spoils any quiet moments whilst viewing and makes quiet listening late at night impossible. I know that this is a common problem because I have posted a thread on an AV forum on the internet and had replies from others with the same problem. Are you aware of this problem? and can the fans be exchanged for ones which run quieter? Regards, Peter.

11. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Just sent one myself

"I have an LC37GA3E which overall I am very pleased with . However there is one major fact that detracts from the viewing pleasure , and that is the constant fan noise , which is audible at low volumes. Is there anything that can be done about this problem , i,e fitting of silent fans etc ? I am not alone in feeling that the fan noise lets down a great product"

Lets see there reply

12. jucame

jucame
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here with my 26" very loud fans, can we do domething all toguether?

13. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That's interesting. Which model do you have? They are on all the time on mine - LC32GA4E.

James

14. paulduckworth

paulduckworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an the LC32GD1E. I'm pretty sure they aren't on all the time.... you have me thinking now - I'll check again tonight and let you know.

15. Humbug

Humbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a reply from Sharp, not a satisfactory one, but it is a reply!!!

Thank you for your e-mail,

I don't think that you have a faulty set.

The fans are necessary to move cool air over the electrical boards thus preventing the possibility of overheating. The fans are designed in such a way to remove enough heat from the equipment giving a reliable and trouble free life to your LCD set. If the fan was smaller it wouldn't move enough air to cool the electrical components and your LCD could malfunction. Any such modification will invalidate any warranty.

If you would like to arrange a service call please contact Sharpserv on 0870 738 0000. If no fault is found with your set then there will be costs involved for this service.

I hope this helps you

John

Aquos Adviser

16. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I too got a reply :(

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with this aspect of the Sharp LCD tv. As with any electrical appliance, especially ones incorporating motor or other moving mechanics like a fan, will invariably generate noise levels. Your tv is no different but it is difficult to determine whether the noise level you are experiencing is normal or abnormal without the benefit of examining it. As you indicate the fan is audible only when listening to programmes on low volumes...then I suspect the set is not faulty and is operating properly. There are no modifications I can offer to eradicate the noise. If however your set was found to be faulty then it could of course be repaired under warranty to ensure it works to its intended specification.

mmmmm

17. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't even realise my 37" had fans. Have not heard them.

18. Humbug

Humbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had the Sharp service engineer out to check mine. He changed the fans and it was even worse, so he put the original fans back again! He said that they were all noisy but mine was not as bad as some that he had been to (apparently a high proportion of his complaints were about noisy fans). He said that the fans should be on permanently, he also said that the 37" doesn't have fans as there is more space inside the case for heat to dissipate. He said that I would just have to live with it, I'm not 100% happy especially as I will now get a bill for the call out as they say there wasn't a fault. Sigh!!!!

19. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't have any problems with the fans inside the Screen... but the fan of the AV-Box that is starting after 30min (temperature controlled) is much louder...

And last week I received my sony HS10 beamer back from service... THAT THING IS LOUD!!!

20. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You think all this is loud ! I have a 32GA3E, a Digifusion FVRT100 with a fan and also a PS2 which has the noisiest fan I have ever heard ! I hadn't connected the PS2 up until last night and fudge me, I was nearly deafened by the amount of fan noise !

21. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    is not true...my LC37GD1E have 2 fans on the panel (for sure!) and one on the AVC(but i'm not sure of this one, because i don't hear nothing coming from the AVC).
    In the end I hear noise only by night.
    Ciao

22. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For excellent ultra quiet fans:
    http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/

If you mail her, she can put most standard connectors on the fan.
    To make sure you replace the fan with something appropriate, you must work out what your existing TV fans are rated at, air-shifting capacity wise (CFM). Do this by searching for datasheets and product numbers on the fan.

Then, find the quiet fan which has at least that capacity (to be safe)
    Of course, this will completely kill your warranty and you might set your TV on fire if you bodge it.

23. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    other option for quiet fans are the panaflo ones - generally regarded as the best by quiet computing freaks, not without good reason. available on ebay amongst others, in various sizes and shift enough air even at 7V.
    they come unterminated, so you can wire them up to anything without cutting etc. get the engineer to replace the original ones with those.

and by the way, the new GD model does not have any fans.

24. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    A V Master, is there any fan noise on your GD7E? I`m after a GA6E but if it`s gonna have a noisy fan on it then i might have to reconsider. Hopefully they have fitted better fans for the later models.

25. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have LC32GD1E for 3 months now, although the fans run all the time, they are barely audible. my set is free standing and not wall mounted

Out of interest 1366 x 768 is not possible via DVI with this set, as a fly sheet in the box states, only available with anologue input

i am using it as a monitor with a shuttle pc and windows media center

Amazing picture

bought it as one of the few sets with DVI input