LC17 and long graphics card. help!

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by ho.will, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ho.will

ho.will
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: I am currently using a 9800GT in my LC17 case. I have had to remove the middle drive cage as the card was too long.

I am now looking for a shorter graphics card so that I can install 2 more drives in the middle drive bay.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what card I should buy which will allow me to fit my hard drives in the middle bay? I do the occasional gaming, and I am looking to purchase an ATI card this time, hopefully a 4870 and above.

2. KalC

KalC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I am using a 4870X2 in my LC17. I think a 4870 will be the same and you will loose the 2nd drive bay.

[​IMG]

I have stuck an extra HDD in my DVD drive bay in a HDD silencer. This gives me 4 HDD slots.

4. KalC

KalC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for correcting me Razor, I didnt take into account how much the HD would stick out of the actual bay.

5. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Thats alright mate. An easy mistake to make. :smashin:

6. ho.will

ho.will
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...

Is there perhaps another recommendation for an ati graphics card that you can recommend? Something in the 4xxx range which will fit in the LC17 case?

I specced out my LC17 case based on your gaming thread, Razor, so thanks for all your advice so far. :thumbsup:

7. Sheepish

Sheepish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is my LC-13 (same internal layout at LC-17) with an ATI 4770. It fits with the cage and you will accomodate the extra length a hard drive will stick out BUT the card is in the way of the sata connections :(

I am definately going to need more hard drives in the future (3x in the already) and I havent tested this but I THINK it might be possible to switch the cages round (one has lips for the drives to sit on inside, one doesnt) and mount 2 (poss 3) drives upside down in the 2nd cage. Not tried it myself yet so dont take my word for it.

Another solution, if you have a full size ATX board with 2x PCI-E x16 slots, would be to put the graphics card in the lower slot. The card wouldnt interfere with the drive connections in the 1st cage unless it has a big chunky plastic heatsink housing and even then it might be ok depending on where the PCI-E slot is.

An alternative to a standard 4770 is the Sapphire 4850 Vapor-X which is the same size (not a reference 4850 design).

Hope this helps :)

Attached Files: