1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LC-37GA4E or LC-37GA5E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by garsmi, Jan 31, 2005.

1. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I have been looking at buying a second screen for the family room either Plasma or LCD 37". I've come to the conclusion that the LCD would be a better buy and decided on a Sharp Aquos range either GA4E or GA5E.

I believe (although not sure) that the GA4E is now discontinued but still available if your lucky... is this true? I have managed to source a GA4E for what I think is a pretty good price £2090 INC VAT!! But I can get the GA5E for £2018 INC VAT... Which would be the better screen?

I believe the GA5E does not have DVI or HD ready? This is not a major problem as my current DVD Player Sony DAV-S400 has no DVI output and I will be running Sky + through a Digi Sender but a Sky + upgrade is possible in the next couple of years where I could move the LCD into the lounge and buy another for the family room. I don't know too much about DVI / HDTV so can someone confirm the GA4E is HDTV compatible? IF so, I guess this will be the one to go for right?

Any comments appreciated!!

Cheers.

2. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Would you care to name your source of said LCD's for £2090 ;)

Cheers

HEADRAT

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    go for the GA4 the GA5 is a cut down lower specced unit Same Panel just media system changes

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the 37GA4E and it is a star! Do not buy the GA5E, it will not work with SKY Hi-def when it comes along, has fixed speakers and a few other restrictions. I posted a thread about this a while ago listing the differences. That's a good price, by the way. If you want it snap it up before somebody else on here finds it! :D :rotfl:

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to add on top of this, the GA4 and GA5 tv's are both able to display high definition pictures in terms of screen size (1366x768) but new definitions of what is a Hi Def tv that have recently been brought out along with Sky's decision with their Hi Def, means if a TV wants the 'Hi Def ready' sticker on it, needs.....

A screen capable of showing 720 horizontal lines.
    Have a digital input that is HDCP (Copyright) compliant - DVI with HDCP or HDMI.
    There are a couple of other thing but can't remember them off the top of my head !

The GA5 does not have a DVI input even though it can take Hi Def signals through it's component input, therefore it cannot wear the 'Hi Def ready' sticker. The GA4 does have DVI with HDCP and as an added bonus the speakers can be taken off.

So, go for the GA4 like everyone else has said. The extra £72 now will mean you won't need to spend another £1500 in 2 years time on another panel that is 'Hi Def ready' if you take Sky route.

Richie.

6. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys... I will be purchasing the GA4 very soon.

I have managed to source this through my work computer supplier's supplier who has become a friend over the years!! I have spoken to him and he is happy for me to put his details here which I will do just as soon as I get mine delivered which btw is next day delivery for £20!

Check back soon...

7. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, here's the deal. Bought my LC-37GA4E through Microsmiths in Milton Keynes. Contact number 01908 546500 ask for Stuart Marsh.

Please note, Microsmiths are not supplying this LCD but one of their suppliers.

If your interested in purchasing one, be quick there is only one left now...

£2090 Inc VAT + £20 Delivery

Good luck!