1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LC-26GA4E - Is this a Fault?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by onefivenine, Apr 15, 2005.

1. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Hi folks,

After some advice on what seems like a fault with my new Sharp LC-26GA4E.

It is most obvious when viewing text / Web pages.

There are about 7 vertical bands about 3/4 inch thick at roughly equal intervals across the screen in which the pixels are flickering. For example, in these bands the letter 'l' occupies two vertical columns of flickering pixels and looks a murky grey. Are these dead pixels?

In the OK areas the letter 'l' appears as a single solid line of black pixels not flickering at all.

I've got another theory on this... I'm using a VGA to DVI connection from a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT ultimate at 1360x768. So I'm wondering if the above symptoms are due to the LCD's native screen resolution being 1366x768? If so do I need Powerstrip or something to correct this?

Anyone able to help?

2. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

When displaying an analogue VGA signal is it sometimes necessary to adjust the number of samples per line and the clock phase. This is because there is no pixel clock with the signal so the Sharp has to regenerate the clock locally. In order to do this it needs to know exactly how many clocks per line and the phase of the clock with respect to the video signal. The Sharp auto-adjust normally works pretty well but sometimes needs fine tuning. You may also find these settings tend to drift over time since this an analog system - so you may need to tweak occasionally.

To avoid the problem it's best to use the 'PC Digital' DVI input - here the clock comes down the cable with the video data so there are no problems.

Best Regards

3. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    LCDGuru, thanks, so is that what I'm observing as these bands of flickery pixels?
    I will try DVI-DVI and hopefully that will cure this.

Could the difference in horizontal resolution between my graphics card output - 1360x768, and the native screen resolution 1366x768 also be contributing... or how else would this difference manifest itself?

Are the 6-pixel difference between PC-output & LCD-input resolution, and my 6 bands of flickery pixels, a co-incidence?