Layoffs at Valve

KhalJimbo

Doesn't seem like money problems, just a spring cleaning.

KhalJimbo

Agreed, its not money issues, I personally think its more of a cost cutting thing. Not because its needed, but because Gabe want more in the bank.

Also, what on earth do bankers have to do with this?

TheNameIsJambo

Doesn't seem like money problems, just a spring cleaning.
Sadly there will be more layoffs over the next couple of years.. Damn bankers ...
Agreed, its not money issues, I personally think its more of a cost cutting thing. Not because its needed, but because Gabe want more in the bank.

Looks like Valve is going through some layoffs at the moment.

Gabe Newell Comments on Valve Layoffs - IGN
Sounds like they just got rid of some crap employees to me.
I also think they cut the slackers. If Valve have a lot of 'stale' projects, and these guys aren't pulling their weight to work on them - Why not bin the slackers?

At Valve, I think their policy is, "Work on What You Want, When You Want."

I think the devs are given creative freedom.. But if people abuse it.. Cheeeeeriiiiiooooo!

iainl7

What little info we're hearing suggests that these people are in Android development and/or Hardware. Which, if GabeN's changed direction away from there and back to Intel-based setups for the Steam Engine or whatever they're calling it, leaves their department surplus to requirements. It may be that they have offered some the opportunity to switch to an area that is being actively pushed, but if they're either not up to that, or don't want to, then off they go. It's almost certainly not about an overall staff reduction.

Sinzer

I don't think that many of the people there will be slackers or crap, Valve is extremely picky and it is really difficult to get in there. I would think they are just saving money on the areas that they are no longer actively pursuing.

Anyway it sucks to lose your job, regardless of how competent you are. Hope they find something soon.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member

I didnt read the link, just your comments in post 1 :facepalm:.. I thought it was down to lack of funds but after reading further it looks like it's not money issues..