• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Layman needs help with TV purchase

swalker

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a 9 year old Philips LCD TV that has served me very well over the years but it is now time to move into the world of HD (SkyHD being installed next week as a free upgrade) and I find myself looking for a TV as a Christmas present to my wife and myself.

In all honesty I have barely looked at TV technology in the last 9 years so I'm considering myself a layman (despite being fairly technical) and would appreciate some help and advice.

Our list of must have requirements for a new TV are as follows:
Wall mountable
Something white, silver or generally different from matt/gloss black
HD - I assume TV's are all true HD these days?
Between 37" and 47" - probably somewhere in between as a preference
No "ghosting" in fast moving TV

Nice to haves are:
FreeviewHD built in
Internet connection???
Don't want any unsightly cables - can you get wireless to pipe the TV inputs?

Budget is undefined but I don't mind paying money for better quality if it is noticeable. I'm assuming I could find something between £500 and £1500. We did look in the Loewe shop and liked the aesthetics of some of their models, but they seemed a bit too pricey when the guy was unable to tell me why it was better than a mass manufactured TV.

Any help appreciated. Especially on the non black angle!

Thanks in advance

Stuart

mjbtin

Hi,

I have a 9 year old Philips LCD TV that has served me very well over the years but it is now time to move into the world of HD (SkyHD being installed next week as a free upgrade) and I find myself looking for a TV as a Christmas present to my wife and myself.

In all honesty I have barely looked at TV technology in the last 9 years so I'm considering myself a layman (despite being fairly technical) and would appreciate some help and advice.

Wall mountable

Nice to haves are:
FreeviewHD built in
Internet connection???

Budget is undefined but I don't mind paying money for better quality if it is noticeable. I'm assuming I could find something between £500 and £1500. We did look in the Loewe shop and liked the aesthetics of some of their models, but they seemed a bit too pricey when the guy was unable to tell me why it was better than a mass manufactured TV.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Non black dont give you many options the only one I can think of is the Panasonic V20.

Regards Martin

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Wall mountable

Nice to haves are:
FreeviewHD built in
Internet connection???

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Panasonic 42'' V20 can be had for round 1100 now and has close to all you want, only wireless is the internet though. Its 1080p HD with built in HD freeview and freesat, its gunmetal grey and silver, if you have an AV the only wires you'll have is a HDMI and optical for sound, with a 1.4 HDMI AV you wouldn't need the optical cable.

I have this set and for HD its stunning, great for games and SD is pretty good too.

Only issues with my set are some posterizing/false contours on SD and a buzzing soud, though many report they dont have the buzz isseu, all have the motion issues with SD.

swalker

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks for the pointer, the V20 does look like it fits my brief but I don't think it's going to fit in with our decor. I guess what I'm saying is that gunmetal, whilst not matt or gloss black is still not going to work for us.

I saw a lovely white TV in Loewe and have in the past seem Philips abmilight TV's that have a white bezel, but the only thing I can find at the moment that comes close is this 3D TV from Samsung, and given that I am not bothered by 3D I guess I would be spending more than needed

Samsung UE40C8000 TV review - from the experts at whathifi.com

Any thoughts on the Loewe TV's, I think the one I likes was over 3k and I'm not sure I can justify that amount purely for aesthetics!

Cheers

Stu

mjbtin

Hi,

Thanks for the pointer, the V20 does look like it fits my brief but I don't think it's going to fit in with our decor. I guess what I'm saying is that gunmetal, whilst not matt or gloss black is still not going to work for us.

I saw a lovely white TV in Loewe and have in the past seem Philips abmilight TV's that have a white bezel, but the only thing I can find at the moment that comes close is this 3D TV from Samsung, and given that I am not bothered by 3D I guess I would be spending more than needed

Samsung UE40C8000 TV review - from the experts at whathifi.com

Any thoughts on the Loewe TV's, I think the one I likes was over 3k and I'm not sure I can justify that amount purely for aesthetics!

Cheers

Stu

You could wait till early next year and see if the maufacturers new ranges have anything suitable.Paying 3k for something just for the colour does seem a bit excessive but its your hard earned.

Regards Martin

vickster

Distinguished Member

swalker

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice, I think you have talked me out of the black is bad issue

I will post again with some advice along different lines.

alsina

Hi,

Wall mountable

Nice to haves are:
FreeviewHD built in
Internet connection???

Thanks in advance

Stuart

The simple answer is that apart from the sound quality being better than most tv's, the picture quality on Loewe tv's is no better than the top end models from Sony and Panasonic. Most of the internal components including the LCD panels are from Samsung or part owner Sharp.

Though they look pretty, they can be a nightmare to live with with constant firmware updates (some that never materialise) required to keep the tv functioning. The only time it seems Loewe tv's work well is if you have something like Sky HD and are using the tv purely as a screen and set of speakers and therefore bypassing the built in Freeview and other features.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom