1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laying trunking in the wall...what size?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Loafer316, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    while decorating planning to cater for future plasma screen. I was wondering would a 50mm by 100mm trunking be enough channeled into the wall and then plastered over? I'm thinking input would be VGA/DVI, Componants and any others. I will also run small channels for speaker wire either side and one for power. What size have you guys gone for...and also at the bottom should just put a wall box to let the wires out as this wouldbe easier to upgrade and insert the wires..? as it looks like i will have carpet.

thanxs:hiya:

2. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 inches is a deep chanel to cut in a wall,why not use oval conduit?its cheaper too.

3. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What are you guys using? My wall is made up 1-2cm concreate then bricks/block and mortar which is quite thick.! it's hard putting a nail in there without bending it. the chase will be done via a sds drill by my dad..he's good at destroying things!! :rolleyes:

i was thinking of popping down to TLC direct and getting the above...as to oval conduit and places where i could look? and close to essex/london?

4. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used oval conduit from B&Q, quite cheap. Afraid my walls are cheapo plasterboard, difficult hanging a photo up without heavy duty rawl plugs, although can cut a chanel with a stanley knife and a chisel.

5. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm looks like another trip to B&Q is in order...the only ones i saw in there last time where the rectangular ones...but these were far too small.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    TLC should do the oval conduit as well. Very usefull guys for alsorts, just about to order some rope light stuff for doing a new lighting scheme at home.

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    I used 4 x 2 in my partition walls when I built them. Make sure whatever elbows you have that go from wall to ceiling ar swept, as vga and dvi can still be a bit tight when trying to get the actual connectors through the bend.

Gary.