Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Laying sub on its side...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Hikikomori, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm currently running an old Yamaha YST-SW160 sub, but to be honest it gets in the way a bit (602mm high) :laugh:

I was wondering if it'd be alright laid on its side, pushed up a corner out the way??? i.e. Would it damage it? Would it sound crap? Would it sound better (bigger footprint etc) :confused:
    It's perfectly positioned at the moment (and doing a fine job :) ), so I'm a bit reluctant to move it around tbh :rolleyes:

I've heard some people have tall subs lying on their side, just haven't really heard of doing so with this one...

What can I expect? (if lying it on its side won't kill it that is :laugh: )

Cheers :)

2. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It would probably be fine, so long as it doesnt cause it to overheat. Does this sub have an extrernal heatsink?

3. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, it's got a fairly big heatsink on the back...

I'm just hoping it won't sound nasty on its side, only one way to find out I guess...

I'm mainly worried about the internal amp being on its side though. Static build-up? Added force of gravity on the components? :confused:

I don't want it dead :laugh:

Maybe I'll just leave it and move it every time I need to go up the loft (it's blocking the loft door :blush: ).
    Helluva pain moving the thing... :zonked:

I'd love it on its side, just don't wan't to be worrying while I'm supposed to be enjoying a film or two :laugh:

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmm, putting the thing on its side may cause problems with the heatsink. If it's like most heatsinks it's got fins arrayed vertically - this helps the hot air rise up and away from the heatsink so that fresh cool air can be circulated up - without that circulation I'm not sure the heatsink will function as effectively, and it's possible that the amp might overheat... How hot does it run at the moment? If it's hot to the touch I wouldn't risk it. If it's pretty cool, it'll probably be okay (though I claim no responsibility for fried kit! ;) )

Cheers,

Dunc

5. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hadn't given any thought at all to the heatsink orientation, thanks Dunc.

The heatsink is mounted for vertical venting, but to make matters worse it's got a steel cage over it that reflects the heat up :suicide:
    At normal volumes for around 5 hours the heatsink cover gets ever so slightly warm to the touch as it is.

Looks like I'll play it safe and leave it as it is...