Laying carpet on acoustic fibre-board.

Bristol Pete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Re - Cinema Room

Putting down some of B&Q's acoustic board this week and carpet is being laid on Saturday by Carpet Right.

However, I have a query.

It is only a foam backed black carpet, but I was wondering if the foam/carpet adhesive will actually stick to the fibre board.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Carpet right wont use grippers as this will tear the carpet.

Thanks in adance.

CB.

Are you not using any underlay?

I've never seen a problem with the nail grip strips before.

but the underlay will be on top of the fibre board, if that makes sense, so I suppose the question is will the underlay stick to the fibre board?

Thanks,

CB.

I don't see why you'd need to stick the underlay down.

Can you not use some sort of grippy tape stuff round the edges?

Could be wrong but doesn't underlay "float" between the base floor and the carpet. The only thing that would be nailed/glued would be the grips or you may need gluing if you need to join two pieces of carpet together, if for instance you room is greater than the width of the carpet roll, or an odd size/shape.

With a foam backed carpet the foam IS the underlay. It is normally fixed with a spray adhesive which may stick to the acoustic boards but probably not terrible well.

With a hesian backed carpet the hesian is the bit that attches to the gripper bars. The underlay is not attched to anything but rests in the space between the gripper bars. The gripper bars are usually nailed or glued to the floor so that wouldn't work all that well with the acoustic board unless you go all the way through the board as well.

I would be inclined to tape all of the joints in the acoustic board with gaffa tape or similar to try and stop the edges moving (and it will help trap the noise further too) and to try and make it as a single structure. Then a combination of glue/ double sided tape to attch the carpet edges to the acoustic board.

Doh!

Misread that backing bit.

Personally I will be using carpet tiles for my room (don't know when yet), so they will be easy to stick down.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom