Layer Change

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TonyOfBrum, Dec 2, 2001.

1. TonyOfBrum

TonyOfBrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is layer change ?

I'm about to buy my first DVD player, either a Pioneer DV444S or Toshiba SD210E but I'm a bit concerned when I read about layer changes during the playing of DVD's.

Is it like a glitch on a video cassette ? How noticeable is it and do either of the machines I've mentioned suffer from it ?

Thanks !

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A DVD is recorded on two layers and somewhere between 50 and 75 minutes the player will change layers. It normally takes about half a second and on most modern DVDs is hardly noticeable as when the disc is mastered they will put the layer change somewhere where it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Having said that, older DVDs and some that have been carelessly mastered will stop for half a second in the middle of a scene which is a bit disconcerting but nothing more than that.

Some players are better than others but you are still only talking about fractions of a second and the Pioneer 444 is OK. I cannot speak for the Tosh as I don't have one.

Ian