1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Layer Change database?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by adamhamilton, Feb 20, 2001.

1. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I find a list of R1 & R2 DVD layer change time index's?

Thanks.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    It may be a dumb question, but WHY?

If you can tell where they are, then you already know the answer. If you can't, then, why do you care?

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well its somewhat of a spectator sport - spotting the layer change.

Deeply sad, but strangely satisfying [​IMG]

4. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > It may be a dumb question, but WHY?

Simple - I'm looking to buy a DVD player and want to take a DVD into a demo so I can test the layer change.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Ahaaaa! So, really, all you need to know is ONE disc and ONE layer change. Preferably one that's fairly obvious when handled badly by the player. And, presumably, if you're going to get a UK retailer to demo you a player, you'll want an R2 title. If I find a good one in the next day or two, I'll post details.

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Always thought that this was a strange thing - how people are annoyed by layer changes. I have seen a few machines in my time and at worst the change takes approx 1sec. If that bugs you then I would not like to see you in a crisis.

7. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See how it handles R2 'Contact - Special Edition'

My first player (LG2330P) made a right pigs arse of it but my new LG3350E is perfect. I cant give you an exact counter reading for the change (well I could but its late and i'm lazy) but i know it occurs during a TV News report before the first test of the 'Machine'.

8. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOK - I'm a fairly calm person and it usually takes a lot to get me annoyed. I just don't see why a £400 dedicated DVD player can't seemlessly handle layer change when my £50 DVD-ROM drive can!

Indeed, I only need to know the index of one DVD layer change to test the players.
    I've got a demo booked for tomorrow lunchtime and I only have the following R2 DVDs:
    The Mummy (1999)
    The Matrix
    Fifth Element

I'm taking R1 'Blade' with me which I can try but I'm not sure the demo machine will be setup for multi-region.

9. JonW

JonW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know of a site listing R2 layer changes but dvdreview.com usually lists it as part of the DVD listing. Use the following Link and then select "Layer Change List" and pick a film.
    http://www.dvdreview.com/movies/FilmVault.html

I have to agree with adamhamilton, I have never seen a layer change on my DVD-ROM drive or a friends Warfdale 750 but my Sony 725 seem to like making a meal of some DVDs! Why!

10. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Jurassic Park when the car is at the bottom of the tree Ellie has just found it. The picture pauses then continues.

It is obvious on most discs on my SONy 735 but I can live with it. At least i dont have to get up and turn the film over. Cant remember any other specific ones.

11. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Layer change can be a pest.My Panasonic a110 sometimes skips to the end of of the chapter on my r1 copy of seven when changing,therefore totally missing one of the most important plot details!!!!!