• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question lay HDMI/speaker cable under laminate floor

inonefly

I'm replacing the carpets on ground floor with laminates and while I'm doing it I want to lay some speaker cables and HDMI cable in the living room. It's concrete floor so I'm looking to dig a channel then plant a plastic pipe and seal again with cement. This way I can also pull out and change at later time if required.

Is SDS drill with chisel the right tool to do this job? any recommendations on the drill for under £100?

Ambienz

No. You risk cracking the concrete base with a SDS drill and chisel and creating all sorts of problems.

I would use a chaser, like 2 blades on an angle grinder to cut a channel. Attach to vacuum to eliminate dust.

here's one for under £100

Titan TTB293WCH 150mm 1700W Wall Chaser 230-240V

However I would want to know more about the base before cutting chunks out. E.g. structural integrity and steel reinforcement

Can you not go around the edges of the room instead?

inonefly

No. You risk cracking the concrete base with a SDS drill and chisel and creating all sorts of problems.

I would use a chaser, like 2 blades on an angle grinder to cut a channel. Attach to vacuum to eliminate dust.

here's one for under £100

Titan TTB293WCH 150mm 1700W Wall Chaser 230-240V

However I would want to know more about the base before cutting chunks out. E.g. structural integrity and steel reinforcement

Can you not go around the edges of the room instead?

Thanks for the link. The chaser is capable of 30mm of cutting width, never used one but I assume it's with 2 blades? Then it's like cutting two parallel lines, how do I remove the concrete in the middle?

Ambienz

Exactly. Sometimes the channel just falls out. Otherwise a light hammer and chisel will tap it out. Note you may run into steel reinforcement just under the surface.

However anything you take out of a concrete sub base will structurally weaken it. The effect is worse on floors than a channel in walls.

Without knowing the details I would recommend against removing a channel from a concrete floor and instead use the flooring expansion gap and skirting board to lay cables around a room.

Good luck

inonefly

Exactly. Sometimes the channel just falls out. Otherwise a light hammer and chisel will tap it out. Note you may run into steel reinforcement just under the surface.

However anything you take out of a concrete sub base will structurally weaken it. The effect is worse on floors than a channel in walls.

Without knowing the details I would recommend against removing a channel from a concrete floor and instead use the flooring expansion gap and skirting board to lay cables around a room.

Good luck

thanks for the advice, I 've decided against to break up the concrete floor for the cable pipes. I'll lay the surround cables and Ethernet cable on both sides at the expansion gap and cover with skirting.

Only challenge is the HDMI cable, I have the flat version which I can leave a small gap between underlay and lay the cable in the middle on the room under the floor, only downside is I will probably not able to remove it in the future if I decided to move gears to a different room etc.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI - you can 100% guarantee that the moment you lay an HDMI cable under a carpet/into a floor it will either fail or be damaged.

Ideally you will have at least one spare CAT6 run around the room to provide a backup which will allow you to add an HDMI over CAT Extender - alternatively have you considered running a Fibre HDMI cable around the room?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom