Lawn mowers.... Need a new one.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a reasonable amount of grass to cut now, some of it on a little incline and also some up a set of steps.

Do I go electric or petrol?

Electric is easier but will it be more effort up the incline? Will a petrol mower pull itself up a little? How reliable and easy are petrol mowers? Never had one before.

How much is a reasonable amount?....and what's your budget?

From my experience, an electric mower can be a bit light weight compared to a petrol mower, and not nearly as versatile. If the area is large (takes more than 30 mins to cut) I would choose a petrol mower.
As for reliability, I've had my current mower for approx 10 yrs and it's been serviced once. Briggs and Stratton engines's are very reliable these days.

Last edited:
What's your budget?

Agree, I'd always go petrol. Cant stand wires. Also got Briggs and Stratton engine, No issues after 5 years.

My petrol mower doesn't pull itself anywhere, is that a new feature??

My petrol mower doesn't pull itself anywhere, is that a new feature??

On mine (Hayter), when you engage the clutch the mower will self drive, meaning I only have to guide it, rather than push. Don't all petrol mowers do this?

Not really thought about budget yet, maybe £200 if needs be, maybe more if really needs be.

It's not a huge lawn by any means. One section is roughly 8x12m and down the side is 9x17m approx.

I've got a 12 year old Mountfield with a Honda 4 stroke engine. Power driven unfortunately the clutch cable snapped at the end of last season. Because of my mobility problems it's the wife that has to push the mower around without the drive she would find it impossible because of the slope of the garden.

I'm thinking of one of these, because it's light and there is no power cable. Thoughts?
Bosch Rotak 370LI Ultra Lawnmower 36V Cordless Rotary 37cm (1 x 4.5Ah Battery)

Can't the clutch cable be repaired @gibbsy ? It would be much cheaper than shelling out £300 on a new mower if that's all that's wrong with it.
Yes, easy repair but when I suggested it she seemed to frown somewhat as even with the drive it's a heavy old beast, 42cm cut and a 4.5hp engine. Apart from the cable going it's never missed a beat. I'm afraid I may have to keep on the wife's good side for this.

Yes, easy repair but when I suggested it she seemed to frown somewhat as even with the drive it's a heavy old beast, 42cm cut and a 4.5hp engine. Apart from the cable going it's never missed a beat. I'm afraid I may have to keep on the wife's good side for this.

In that case offer it for sale to Desmo :D

I've got a 2006 mount field with Briggs and Stratton engine. Works great. However the new mountfield mowers are now made in China with cheap engines so be careful when buying a new one.
Viking are supposed to be decent petrol mowers. Come with a 5 year warranty too, providing you get it serviced each year.

Petrol all the way. So much faster/easier/more efficient/better quality.

Viking/Sthil Mowers are good. Got mine for about £200. Never missed a beat. Serviced once a year.

Cordless electric with a second battery. Best of all worlds

I use the Bosch 41 li battery mower for work and it's been hammered and still goes. They are less power but still do the job but are on par with many electric cabled ones.
You then have the likes of Vikings battery machine, bit more grunt and a price to match.
Then you have the top boys like the new battery mower from Etesia which can run for 2 hours and weighs as much as a petrol machine but costs a terrible amount.
For a domestic use a battery based one is fine for small lawns that are cut often.

I don't know much about battery vs petrol, but a quick Google looks like a spare battery will cost £100+, and like for like electric are more upfront to buy.

I've only got lots of grass to mow but seem to only have 2 or 3 5l petrol containers through a season.. and as it only takes less than that I don't use it all in the mower.. The remainder goes in my bike :D

So I guess it'd take me over 6 seasons to pay off the spare battery so not economical me, but might be for a much bigger lawn.

Last edited:
The smaller Bosch ones come with a single battery, the larger model comes with 2.
The 2 batteries on mine are still going well and are around 5 years old with plenty of charges taken place.
The Stihl ones are more expensive but the mower can do a larger area quicker and the Etesia batts are over £700 each and to be honest that's priced them out of the market. Had a look at one the other week and total cost with mower and charger was over £2000 which is ridiculous. Clever tech but it's got to develop a bit more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom