Lavardin IT

karkus30

Banned
Anyone heard one of these french built amps?

Supposed to be a very clever design which reduces transistor memory ( sound a bit NVM / Townsend to me ).
 

MikeC

Active Member
Hi
i did see/hear one of these amps at a small show once (in Chester IIRC)
a year or so ago.

It was the best sound dem at the show. Very clear sound.

At the time I had never heard of them, but the following month HFNRR gave
it a pretty good rating.
 

buns

Banned
I have heard good things of this brand, but it is audiophile level, hence has the asociated nuiances!

Ad
 

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by buns
I have heard good things of this brand, but it is audiophile level, hence has the asociated nuiances!

Ad
Yes, thats always the problem :rolleyes:

Has anyone got one ???
 

lilolee

Member
it is audiophile level, hence has the asociated nuiances!
Sorry I don't understand this statement.

The IT is a great amp, if you are willing to spend that amount of money and have the front end to do it justice.

Lee
 

Nic Rhodes

Well-known Member
Great amps but I am not so sure what the 'special' bit is as they are not telling anyone!
 

MikeC

Active Member
Originally posted by Nic Rhodes
Great amps but I am not so sure what the 'special' bit is as they are not telling anyone!
One can't expect them to tell all their secrets can you :D

Mike
 

Nic Rhodes

Well-known Member
I had the top off but from memory they were encased in resin! I wonder whether it is another phase linear amp.

I don't give up that easily. :D
 

MikeC

Active Member
Originally posted by Nic Rhodes
I had the top off but from memory they were encased in resin! I wonder whether it is another phase linear amp.

I don't give up that easily. :D
You're sounding quite devious Nic ;)

Funny you should say about the resin, I remember when Hifi choice (several years ago now) reviewed some of the more expensive add-on DACs (over £1000) and, simply by looking at the technical results, could tell the precise chip-set used - despite the manufacturer en-casing them in resin etc. Turned out quite a few of them were using the same chips as in one of the considerably cheaper QED range.

No doubt all the additional cost was in the casing :D

Mike

p.s. must remember to re-read the Lavardin amp review ...
 

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by Nic Rhodes
I had the top off but from memory they were encased in resin! I wonder whether it is another phase linear amp.

I don't give up that easily. :D
Nic, could you explain phase linear.

I remember reading they use custom transistors. hmmmm.

How did you get hold of an amp to strip down ? You must move in some interesting circles.

I was told audionote ongaku amps hane the transformers potted and filled with steel ball bearings.

Where can I get hold of a Lavardin to dem ?

Loads of Qs to keep you busy for about 10 seconds.
 

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by Gambit
Your not allowed to buy high end amps like this cause they know you play QOTSA through them:p

Don't know if this is what Nick means but
http://www.phaselinearhistory.com/ sounds about right

Nope, I have graduated, so its Status Quo from now on;)

Thanks for the site info. Unfortunately its all about Carver amps, no indication of actual circuit design. Nics probably keeping it to himself ;)
 

MikeC

Active Member
Karkus

see April 2001 Hifi News & RR for a review where the Lavardin IT was reviewed by Alvin Gold.

The general gist was that it was very transparent (valve-like) but without
the average bass that valve designs allegedly have.

He did comment that it does need to be matched to the speaker - a JM Labs
one he tried wasn't a good match - and also that its no powerhouse - which
u probably knew from the specs anyway.

The amp has a mid-forward balance (AG's words) so avoid speakers with a similar
balance.

Mike
 

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by MikeC
Karkus

see April 2001 Hifi News & RR for a review where the Lavardin IT was reviewed by Alvin Gold.

The general gist was that it was very transparent (valve-like) but without
the average bass that valve designs allegedly have.

He did comment that it does need to be matched to the speaker - a JM Labs
one he tried wasn't a good match - and also that its no powerhouse - which
u probably knew from the specs anyway.

The amp has a mid-forward balance (AG's words) so avoid speakers with a similar
balance.

Mike
Yes, read it some time ago, but I dont realy trust those reports, anyway they make it sound like an 8000A
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom