Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Laurel and Hardy 21 disc set?

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by piggies, May 10, 2004.

1. piggies

piggies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen a better price than £149.99? and at a retailer you would recommend too, thanks for any help.

2. new

new

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you will find cheaper as £149.99 is £50 off.

You could hold out for the Jan sales.

3. Scotty12

Scotty12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. busdpric

busdpric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that you are after the 21 dvd box set of Laurel and Hardy films. I have got them on a 6 DVD conversion. It consists of 6 dvd with all films plus a few extras such as their final interview that isnt in the box set. The quality is superb and I bought them last year and have watched them many times. I also bought a set for my Grandfather in Canada but his dvd player broke and he refused to have another one bought for him because he didnt want the one he had in the first place. I think he had been putting coffee in it myself just to get rid of it :laugh:

Anyway, the sets cost me £50 but I keep meaning to whack the spare one on ebay for around £40 so if anyone wants it its theirs for the same price.

They come in 3 cases (2 DVDs in each). The disks have limited information written on the surface though.

Cheers

5. busdpric

busdpric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOLD - Thanks guys

6. Battlehound

Battlehound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £150 ripoff because it doesent have so many short classic such as Dirty Work, Blotto, Scram,The Live Ghost, Murder Case etc, poor value until they start including the classics that only seem available on BBC2,

7. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not sure where you got that info from, as every single one of the films you listed ARE definately included.
    Full content details can be found HERE
    The only four films not included on the UK set are: Babes in Toyland, Flying Deuces, Bonnie Scotland and Fra Diavolo. These are full length films, which I believe were outside of the Hal Roach era.

These ARE available on the Dutch releases to the best of my knowledge, which is the set(s) I would be inclined to go for. For £150 for the UK release, I think (despite the missing 4) that it represents excellent value for money.

Ollie

8. Battlehound

Battlehound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected, I had looked at DVD sites listings and none of them showed anything like the detail that is on this page. £150 is a good price.

9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,364

These are obviously illegal pirated DVDs.

10. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Babes in Toyland, Flying Deuces, Bonnie Scotland and Fra Diavolo. These are full length films, which I believe were outside of the Hal Roach era."

There're a whole lot more features than that missing, but as you say, they're later films from 20th Century Fox and not Hal Roach... Such films as "A-Haunting We Will Go", "The Dancing Masters", "Air Raid Wardens", "Great Guns", "The Big Noise", "Nothing But Trouble" & "Utopia/Atoll K"... It'd be nice to have them, but they're not anywhere as good as their sound shorts IMHO - the only surprising omissions are "Flying Deuces" and "Babes In Toyland" - these were available from Vision some time back (I believe), and "Babes..." was available in the German Kinowelt sets that were taken from the same masters as these new discs - both of which I believe were made around the same time as the later Roach films.