1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest Upgrade (tag/rotel), My thoughts...

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    To bring those who don't know me up to date, in November I bought some M&K 750thx speakers to upgrade my existing system(which were Boston 55THX's) and it made a great difference to the sound.
    However the Amp I was using was a Denon 3801 and to be honest I was slightly disapointed with the overall abilities of the Denon with the M&K load(4ohm and rather bright with the denon).

So I sold the Denon and on Monday took delivery of a second hand Tag AV32R (5.1 with 192dacs,hdcd,PLII) and a brand new Rotel 1075 THX 5 channel power amp, which together cost less than a top of the line intergrated Amp (Denon 1SR et al)

So was the upgrade worth £2,000+ out of the bank account?

Well I have only had a few hours to play about with them(been very busy at work) and I am using cheap interconnects and speaker cable which will get replaced in a few weeks. I am also still getting used to the Tag and it's abilities and this will take a few months of use to get used to. So taking into consideration these things, and the fact i am using a Pioneer 444 sub £200 DVD player (not the strongest performer), I will try to give you an honest answer to what I now have, believe me i don't mind slagging something even if i have spent a small fortune on it.

Well the system sounds a million dollers to be honest. I simply can't believe the huge difference in performance! I expected it to be good and an improvement over the Denon(bloody should at 4 times the price). But even with the short comings of the source player and interconnects, the detail power and dynamics are simply breath taking. It's easy to sit in a demo room in a dealers and get carried away with what you think you are hearing, but to actually add the equipment into your enviroment with speakers and room that you know, really does make the difference.

The Tag is very simple to set up quickly, and a complete novice should be able to manage it in no time. The operating instructions are a pain as they are in a small jewel case and small print, but everthing is explained by the onscreen menus.
    I ahve the silver version which looks very smart with the blue power light and display options. Of course should my circumstances change and i get a bigger room i can also upgrade the Tag to whatever spec i like. The only down fall for me is the Remote! What a pain! Not very well laid out and the Processor most of the time ignores the remote commands, very frustrating.

I was a little scared that the Tag along with the Rotel, and the already brightish M&K's would not partner well. The Tag is a very natural sounding processor, infact it is very neutral and a little analitical in it's presentation. I thought this might be a problem along with the rumoured bright rotel. NOT AT ALL!! Infact the detail, effects steering and sheer dynamic performance leaves every Intergrated i have heard well in the shade. Even the bass has improved with the Velodyne CHT-15 now even sharper and dynamic in its attack, even more noticeable with music, the Tag must be feeding it some very detailed and controlled output.

And the Rotel? Jesus this was only £800! It is an absolute gem of a power amp. The M&K's have just sprung to life, filling the room with gloriously rich and powerful sound. And even the focus of two channel stereo is improved. I now realise just how hard pushed the Denon was, and how out of it's depth it was with the M&K's.

An upgrade should make you fall in love with music and movies all over again, and give you a great deal of satisfaction. I am happy to report that i am very satisfied indeed and have indeed fell in love again with my favourite music, and even trying things i wouldn't normally listen too. I am also excited at putting some good quality interconnects and cable on there, just to add that little bit more..........Then a new DVD player............and a high quality CD player..........

If you are thinking about this kind of upgrade away from intergrated amps, then all i can say is do it! You certainly will not be disappointed, the only worry maybe that to improve on this again is going to cost thousands more................................
    :laugh: :smashin:

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Told you the Rotel 1075 was a piece of class! Frankly, I don't know how Rotel do it, as there aren't many other amps in that class that perform as well.
    Did you dem the Tag with the Arcam or other Rotel processors, or was the TAG just too tempting?

Russell

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX, you wouldn't be able to compare the Denon AVD-2000 to the Tag processor? Thinking about upgrading, it's alot of money for me- and not sure whether to got for the Tag AV32R or a Lex MC-1.

I've got forward sounding poweramps.

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    The Arcam is also a piece of class and was very much on the list until the last minute, I just couldn't justify the extra cost to myself. The Tag was a good deal, and there are plenty of deals out there at the moment on them, due to the 192. For some reason people are just trading in their 32s and getting the 192 because they dont want to wait!
    The Arcam P7 is also a great deal at £2,500 for seven channels, and i may look at that in a year or so. But for value for money the Rotel is amazing! I will never go back to intergrated again.

5. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Phil.

Good to see you are pushing the envelope to the next level.
    The tried & tested TAG/Rotel combination seems to be a favoured marriage.

I'd be interested in seeing Bob007's remarks on this, as i believe he auditioned (albeit @ dealers demo room - i think?) a TAG/Rotel combination against his Denon 3802 (did u have power amps Bob??????.)

I personally believe the TAG is a good choice & the flexibility will enable you scope for upgrades.

Hope to see more of your findings.

Nice to hear you are getting good results from your LCR 750THX.

Adzman

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will get used to the remote, as soon as you remember where the buttons are...

The Rotel is not bright at all, I was very happy with mine while I had the Concerto, no urge to try anything else, but unfortunatelly they couldn´t handle the EAII, so I had to go for the Bryston...

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Phil.

Would be interested in hearing this new setup.

Allan probin is selling his Tosh, I think its the 9000.

Cant remember but do you have a Projector, if so have you concidered a HTPC. I could bring mine down so you could have a try.

Peter

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Peter,

You are more than welcome to visit, but I am very busy at work and also going to London next week (hoping to visit Eric and Maybe Charlie too on my travels) so its going to be a few weeks but I will let you know when is good for me.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,235
    u can't fault the 1075.

10. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Ok Phil, thanks for that I am also interested in hearing the Vel, so PM me when it is convenient.

Peter

11. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have done a very similar upgrade from using a denon 3801 as a processor into 5 channel chord power amp.I purchased
    a new Tag bp192 with 7.1 (use the denon to power Ex rears)

I concur a much more dynamic,more detail and control in the
    bass is a massive improvement using all speakers as"bass
    limited" with 80htz crossover to sub .Fronts ATC 20's
    centre Active ATC (concept 4 system) surround kef dipoles
    and rears tannoy m1;s. Dvd is arcam dv88.

I am very Happy with the sound but it would be interesting
    to know how much better the dual processor 32 is or even
    192r.

As i have only just got the Tag the next upgrade is years
    off according to the wife!!!