Latest Sony versus Panasonic plasmas

shimnamiler

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Looking to upggrade current panel and have whittled my options down to 4. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Really wanting to know which panel gives best 'bang for buck' The only criteria for making the choice is picture quality from a HD source and 3D not really a concern at the minute to be honest.

1 Panasonic TX-P55VT30B @ £1400
2 Panasonic TX-P50VT30B @ £1200
3 Panasonic TX-P50ST50B @ £1150
4 Sony KDL55HX853 @ £1500

Thanks in advance for any help

Thanks mtunreal69

You would take either of those panels ahead of the 4 I listed?

Hi shim,

My 58" Professional display is up for sale if you are interested in saving some money.

Ewoody

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ewoody

Thats a good display but not sure I want to go down that road. I see you are looking at the 65VT50. Given my choices what would you go for yourself?

Are the VT50's much superior to the VT30's?

Also, how does the ST50 compare to the VT30?

I owned the vt30 last year and now own the st50.
Imo the st50 is a better set. Better black levels, much less dither noise, better light output, uses the same ar coating as the vt30, better motion, and out the box better colours.

but what seems like plasmas are more prone to develope problems even after purchase. If you get a fine led panel it wil stay that way.

Not true.
Both technologies have their problems and one isn't any better than the other.

I owned the vt30 last year and now own the st50.
Imo the st50 is a better set. Better black levels, much less dither noise, better light output, uses the same ar coating as the vt30, better motion, and out the box better colours.

LESS dither noise? No way. It's way more, especially in the Normal viewing mode. Also reviews have pointed out that it's suffering more from dithering this year. It's superior in every other way, though.

<<< Thread moved to the Which TV Should I Buy section >>>

Also merged the same thread from the Plasma section into this one.

Last edited:
If wide viewing angles are not important to you, I´d go for the Sony. I like it´s very smooth motion and no-flickering image. Both panel types definitely have their problems, but what seems like plasmas are more prone to develope problems even after purchase. If you get a fine led panel it wil stay that way.

Sorry strongly disagree there, both tech can become faulty with age, threads are full of both going wrong after time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom