1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest R1's widescreen and fullscreen on the same disc means HALF THE PICTURE QUALITY

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by StooMonster, Jan 21, 2005.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Region 1 "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" arrived in the post this morning.

I should've checked before buying, but what do I read on packaging? "widescreen and fullscreen" version ... this doesn't look good thinks I. Check the set and extras are on seperate disk, nice; but two versions of movie on first disc, rubbish!

"The picture is noisy, though, and there is some artifacting. Look to the walls either side of the hospital doorway Alice walks out of, or smoke when the Hive is re-opened. Not too bad, but present nonetheless." DVD Review on this site.

No wonder, there's only half a disc for an entire movie and after checking on PC one can see the low bit-rates that are responsible for a poor and artefacting picture.

Should've waiting for the R2 or shopped around for another region, I feel really ripped off; DVD is supposed to be about quality picture and sound.

I know loads of Americans have big square televisions and they used to produce two versions of most DVDs (widescreen and pan&scan) whereas we only get widescreen; but it now looks like studios are saving money and cutting quality and putting both versions on one disc.

Avoid discs like this, they are ****e.

StooMonster

2. saguk

saguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some of the older R1 W/S and F/S discs had the W/S on 1 side and the F/S on the other. Is this not the case with this?

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    You are correct in that older R1's had flippers (one version on each side) and that's what I assumed when I ordered this.

But this is not the case here, both on one side ... as I said I checked the disc structure with PC and one can see both films on single side -- and the bitrate meters are low.

The studio is obviously saving money because it's cheaper to have one version rather than two, and to have one sided disc rather than a flipper; but it's annoying that they have to produce pan&scan versions anyway.

Why didn't the DVD review on this site pick up on this?

Goddam I'm annoyed and feel ripped off.

StooMonster

4. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    You'll be surprised how many films would fit on one layer without too much compression if it wasn't for all the extras. It sounds like you have a dvd9 with a version on each layer - not much different to a dvd9 with loads of extras on the second layer. The US Monsters Inc was the same and no one ever mentioned bad quality.

But yes, they shouldn't bother making 4:3 versions, there is no point.

5. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    these are nothing new, i have had a few that are the same as this but i have not seen any loss in picture quality.

as fig said they stick each version on its own layer, there isnt alot of compression use when doing this.

i can't comment on resident evil but i have never had problems with them yet.

unlucky for some eh :(