Latest PJ Best Buys To Replace JVC X3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LaurasOtherHalf, Jul 20, 2019.

1. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Rather unceremoniously, my JVC X3 has kicked the bucket, refusing to start up. Going on previous experiences, I tend to buy a projector and refuse to then read anything else about any new tech so as to not get green eyed about lots of new tech!

However, this means I'm hopelessly out of date with what's new, exciting and available.

I'd really rather spend as little as possible seeing as it's an unexpected big bill. Main points for me are that it's white, can handle 3D (hopefully with the same glasses I have) and is something of an upgrade to the X3. I also have a wonderful billet aluminium ceiling mount for the JVC that would be great if it could be used again.

I'd imagine the budget to be £2500 but I'd like to spend less. My only concern about another JVC is the limited aftercare and slightly dubious build quality of some of their models.

All advice welcome!

2. unreel

unreel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
  3. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    TW9400 or find a JVC x5900 or pay a bit more and try and get an x7900 which will comfortably beat both.

4. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    I guess your glases are IR glases, not sure if that works on newer JVC projectors, anyway JVC glases only works properly with JVC untill the new 4K models.

2500£ should get you a new X5900 or a slightly used X7900, if you have skils you could also change the ballaser and lamp in your X3 and a general cleaning, and it will most likely run for 5 years more.

How many hours on that X3?

5. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I bought the X3 used, supposedly on the original bulb and probably (I haven't checked for ages) sub 500 hours.

My main concern is I don't think there is anyone local to me who could service it.

6. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Yeah its more of a DIY project to keep a decent budget, making it worth it. Its however worthless as is, i thought about making a trade in program for those old series changing ballaster lamp cleaning and do the gamma calibration, and they would be better than new, but doubt anyone would pay the price of parts and time needet and some warrenty, + the risk of getting a unit with a defective optical block or processor board.

7. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    What are the shouts of the latest Sonys? When I bought the X3 the HW40 Sony was very highly regarded and the HW45 can be bought sub-£1800, has this been totally superseded?

8. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    They mainly do native 4k now, 270 is their base 4K but is ~£5k and low spec (no dynamic iris etc), the 570 is where it starts but you’re talking lots of money ~£8k. Yes you get native 4K, but arguably a few faux 4k’s (aka JVC x7900) will give it a run for the money for much less and I suspect will beat it on contrast and blacks..

9. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Ill say the SONY 1080P projectors is bad, like very bad in comparison to the X3, the 270 is another level, it will not keep up with low level but every other parameter its basically better, it can have around max 10000:1 on off contrast, where the X3 with a new lamp will have areound 20000:1 however the ansi contrast is another game its around 3 times better on the SONY, and that means that most content have better contrast, its a more steady solid image.
    Even the X7900 wil likely max out at ansi contrast around 160:1 where the sony can be as high as 400:1 thats clearly visible in medium to bright scenes, and the typical SONY processing can be turned off on the last generation 4K, so they look cleaner than ever.

20190721_161022.jpg