Latest Philips DVD Recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ngkmh, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ngkmh

ngkmh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've been through the posts in avforums on dvd recorders and most say that philips dvd recorders are un-reliable.

Does this apply for the new range? eg DVDR615 ?

I know everyone says that the Panasonic E55 is the best one to get in the price range but it doesnt look like it will go well with my TV and AV equipment.

The alternative is the Sony GX-300 but that is around £50 more.

A big advantage of the Philips for me is that I also have a Philips TV so this may reduce the number of remotes that I have which is a big plus for me!!

Thanks for any advice......

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I think you will find the problems were with the 1500, 1000, 900 and 800 series recorders. I have a 70 and it has been so far reliable. I also have a Panasonic. If you want to use the DVD-R as a VCR replacement consider the recording time and maybe consider a DVD-R with built in HDD.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    There have loads of problems with the 7x series! Whilst Disk Error problems are not as frequent as previous models the DVDR70/75/80 have been hit by new problems (largely due to the dirt cheap components used). Examples include:
    - Flash memory lock ups when upgrading Firmware
    - Failure to play back some (commercial) disks
    - Machines being fussy about BRANDED media
    - Occassional-frequent lip sync problems
    - Over exposure on recordings
    - Lost/failed recordings

If you do a search of any forum you'll find all these problems inflict the DVDR70 series with alarming regularity. I see no reason why the 6x series will be any better - they again are built with cheap components sourced from multiple suppliers and so will doubtless suffer the same problems. Avoid Philips - there are better options out there.

4. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will this apply to the DVDR520H as well? Just saw it advertised at a little under £400 - no info on Philips site, but a press release seemed to indicate it is more or less the same as the 720 (i.e. 80GB HDD) but without EPG.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Well it has applied to every model so far so it wouldn't surprise me - but who knows until the problems start occurring. The 8xx series and DVDR7x series looked reliable until the errors started to occur from around 6 months after release - they may, or may not, have reached their peak.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    my dvdr75 has never given me any problems
    I only use dvd+rw for recording but it also plays dvd-r, dvd+r
    and original movies without problems. Great machine IMHO
    (my pal has a dvdr70, also no problems) Both purchased at xmas

you can now buy the dvdr70 for £105 and te dvdr75 for £165
    £105 is not exactly a big risk.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    This sort of post amuses me greatly - of course there are some machines that don't have problems (I have owned a - virtually unused - DVDR1000 without any problems) but that doesn't mean the problems don't exist in vast numbers - they do. Do a search if you doubt it. I should also point out your DVDR75 hasn't failed yet - by definition it must still be a fairly new machine and we know from experience that it is after quite a long period of ownership (6 months onwards) that the machine fails or starts to fail.

...but if you want to record stuff surely you want to do so reliably!?! Otherwise you might as well not bother! We can all burn £100 on a bonfire if we were so inclined - but that doesn't mean it's a good idea! ;)

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    £100 for the use of a recorder for 1+ year is not exactly
    burning on a bonfire. Xmas.....that's 9 months of use nearly every day.
    After a year this sort of item is usually chucked anyway, use the right credit card
    and you get a second years warrenty for free.
    Yes, I could do a search, but what personal experience of this machine do you have?
    Hearsay is not allowed in courts for a very good reason.

I have just paid almost £2000 for a plasma, with a MTF of 10 years
    so have I just burnt (£200 x 10) by your calculations, I have.

Electronic equipment doesn't last forever!

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    A fair bit actually considering I have conducted a whole suite of tests on them...

We are clearly not going to agree on this subject PJ Clark - so I'm not even going to try - I don't expect electronic equipment to last forever. But I don't believe in buying cheap, naff kit that is a grade below what everyone else is using. You clearly do.

10. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks - having read previous comments on Philips I guessed you'd say this. However, I've noticed that Philips tend to get reasonable reviews, score 8/10 and similar. Is it that they're well-featured enough to impress reviewers, but not well-built enough for regular use?

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Yes the machines themselves have improved since their early incarnations: the DVDR70 series were decent enough recorders from a good source. It's just they lack the core benefits of most other machines, i.e. accurate editting, timebase correction, hybrid VBR etc, which isn't really acceptable for medium to high end users. I firmly believe the reliability issues make them unsuitable for low end users as well - better look at Mico or Thompson recorders if you that pushed on budget.

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak is right.Look at any forum on dvd recorders and regular problems crop up on all Philips recorders.There is no other make that even comes close,even the el cheapo crap supermarket jobbies like Mico,even though there design seems based on the Philips models.
    Philips recorders offer nothing over other makes,so why buy one.Have you heard complaints about Panasonic,Pioneer,Toshiba ?No.So why buy inferior product.
    Regarding paying £2000 for plasma.Unless your viewing is in ideal conditions and will consist of mainly dvd's,then yes,youhave wasted your money.If you plan on watching SkyDigital on a plasme,be prepared for grotty pictures