1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest Panasonic VCR's-any good?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Grimley, Jan 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    My dad's 14 year old Panasonic nicam VCR has now gone belly up, He wants to replace it. I done some price comparsions & the basic panny nicam model is £85-£100 (he doesn't want bells & whistles nor does he want Recordable DVD as he has a ton of pre-recorded videos of old films he wants to watch)

Any reccommendations or horror stories folks?

2. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the philips vr 620

and it is superb, i would sell it for £80 as i do not use it, its hardley been used, just a few months old, 4 heads, so simple to use, nicam,

you can either buy off me or try get one online,

had a look around

3. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I've owned a philips tv & vcr previously & they were unreliable....

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Got the muv-in-law a Panny for chrimbo, she's well chuffed with it.

Pic quality is streets ahead of the Kakki Akai she had before.
    (she wanted a new one coz the Kaki wouldn't timer record........sometimes!!)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Though I'm rather critical of recent decks, the JVC HRS7965 may be worth considering. I bought one a few months ago (from Unbeatable) for about £157 and have just found that they are now selling it for £141.

Basically, it is the same as the 5965 - albeit with a little 'icing and a cherry' in the form a timebase corrector (TBC).

With my cheap and often old tapes, I still lean towards the output of my failing Toshiba - bought in 1988 or '89, I think! However, any observed 'failings' are usually a result of the TBC showing everything ('noise') and can be circumvented by using the 'video stabilizer' instead (you're only able to use on or the other) and manual tracking, if necessary with older cassettes.

The really good news is that playing good pre-recorded tapes has yielded some of the best viewings of the films that I have ever seen - with sound to match, using Pro-Logic II :smashin: At this point, I always remember 'Jurassic Park. I neither have nor have seen this on DVD, but this is the best playback that I have ever seen on television. For completion, I haven't seen it via any digital source (e.g. Sky or Freeview).

Oh, if I'm being truly 'complete', JVC recorders aren't the best-looking machines - though you may of course feel different about that! :D At the time of buying, the better looking (IMHO) Panasonic alternative was a little too expensive for me; but I have no regrets with this purchase. Just as long as I don't look at it... ;)

7. fantrace

fantrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be one you want to consider. Dixons/Currys have a JVC SVHS VCR, model number HR-S6965EK, for £99.99 in their sale, down from £129.99. Can't find out anything about it on the JVC site, so it may be a special (ie cut down) version of one of the 5965 / 7965 type models done for Currys/Dixons only.

I'm seriously considering it myself as I just bought a Sony to replace a oldish Mitsubishi which broke over Christmas, but I'm very disappointed with it (the Sony) and it is most probably going back. And I thought Sony was supposed to be top of the pile.

If anyone knows any more about the 6965, I'd be very interested before I commit myself.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think its an old model replaced by one of the other models,

9. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Who actually makes their own VCR's anymore? I believe most are made in China and re-badged.
    I too am looking to replace a Panasonic NVF-70 which must be at least 12 years old and still going strong. In all that time all it's needed was new capacitor in the power supply.
    My only reason for changing it is to buy one now before they become obsolete that will last me a few years to play my large collection of pre-recorded video's on.
    Because of my experience I'd like another Panasonic, but there doesn't seem much point if they're made by somebody else.

10. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also looked on the JVC site, but it is not a Dixons special, it's also available at Unbelievable.
    You can get the spec from that site and dixons site. Add the two together. I still cannot find if there is an audio out (phono) or an Svidieo socket. Apart from that it seems to have all that the more expensive models have--just a few-
    LP, edit, V+ pdc, real time, auto set,
    etc.
    Hope that helps.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think it has audio out but no S-video (mini din ) socket, Uses a S-vid over scart IIRC

12. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82