Latest OPPO 203 firmware.

jask

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all OPPO 203 owners. I have just installed the latest firmware (UDP20XEU-65-0131) and have run into some problems. As advised by OPPO, I performed a factory reset after installation, and on playing a DV encoded 4K bluray, I was immediately confronted by garish 'wrong' colours and a very high level of blotchy chroma noise. On investigation, I found that the update introduced the options for player-led and TV-led DV decoding, presumably to cope with Sony TVs, with the default being player-led. On changing this to TV-led (LG OLED E6), the processing corrected. It seems that in my case the player-led DV decoding is buggy, and I have also found since the update that the player seems sluggish to respond, and is so slow to send HDMI handshakes that the TV regularly displays 'no signal - please check input'. The player was working perfectly before the update.
Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Hi all OPPO 203 owners. I have just installed the latest firmware (UDP20XEU-65-0131) and have run into some problems. As advised by OPPO, I performed a factory reset after installation, and on playing a DV encoded 4K bluray, I was immediately confronted by garish 'wrong' colours and a very high level of blotchy chroma noise. On investigation, I found that the update introduced the options for player-led and TV-led DV decoding, presumably to cope with Sony TVs, with the default being player-led. On changing this to TV-led (LG OLED E6), the processing corrected. It seems that in my case the player-led DV decoding is buggy, and I have also found since the update that the player seems sluggish to respond, and is so slow to send HDMI handshakes that the TV regularly displays 'no signal - please check input'. The player was working perfectly before the update.
I have an E6 and a 203 in the Bedroom and after the recent update to (65-0131) I had to change the setting from Auto to TV-Led which corrected the pink screen (wrong colours). I should also mention that if you go directly from the Oppo to the TV, not directly into your AV receiver, Auto works. According to posts on the owners thread on AVSForum..
I haven't had time to try this myself yet as I go directly into a processer in my bedroom set up.

I also messaged Oppo support and this is the reply I got from them. Confirming you need to go with TV-Led instead of Auto with an E6..
I hope this clarifies for you.

Hello Allan,

Thanks for contacting us, there is currently no firmware update to enable
you to use auto instead of TV-led in your combination.
There have been issues for certain customers who had wrong colors even at
TV-led and that was fixed.

Best Regards

Oliver

OPPO Digital UK

c/o HEIMKINO KLOHS
Inh: Oliver Klohs
Engertstr. 8
04177 Leipzig
Germany

Last edited:
I'm also having issues with pink screen, hand shake issues, black screen flashes since the update.

I will try setting the Oppo to TV-led DV decoding and see if this resolves the issue.

Who did you contact at Oppo please so I can send an email ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi folks. Many thanks for your helpful replies. They confirm what I thought - auto and player-led don't work properly. I have set the OPPO to TV-led and decoding is working fine. I still have lag and handshake issues, though, and while I am using a single HDMI cable through my AVR, I had no such problems before the update. I would be interested to hear OPPO's reply, aandpwoodley, regarding these problems. At least it's heartening to know that OPPO are still supporting the player.
Cheers to you all.

I'm also having issues with pink screen, hand shake issues, black screen flashes since the update.

I will try setting the Oppo to TV-led DV decoding and see if this resolves the issue.

Who did you contact at Oppo please so I can send an email ?

Thanks
I just used the support form on the UK site. But the reply was from Germany as I believe support in the UK based office has closed now.

OPPO - Contact Us

Hi folks. Many thanks for your helpful replies. They confirm what I thought - auto and player-led don't work properly. I have set the OPPO to TV-led and decoding is working fine. I still have lag and handshake issues, though, and while I am using a single HDMI cable through my AVR, I had no such problems before the update. I would be interested to hear OPPO's reply, aandpwoodley, regarding these problems. At least it's heartening to know that OPPO are still supporting the player.
Cheers to you all.

As soon as I get a reply from Oppo I will update you all, thanks

Cheers to you all.

I can also confirm setting the Oppo to TV-LED works with my E6, I can now watch A Star Is Born, I was convinced my Oppo or AVR was borked.

I had this reply from Oppo yesterday, I'm still having some handshaking/black screen issues.

" it has not been intended that this should not work with the player set to
auto but as things can sometimes be a bit unpredictable with HDMI this is
exactly why we also have a TV-led setting.
There are no downsides for you to using this setting"

Not the best reply, hopefully they are still working on it

I updated mine yesterday. Only tried one DV disc but no issues at all.

I can also confirm setting the Oppo to TV-LED works with my E6, I can now watch A Star Is Born, I was convinced my Oppo or AVR was borked.

I watched a few DV discs the other day, pretty sure I had already installed the latest firmware and didn't notice any issues with picture, is it an easy issue to spot?

I have a B6 and my 203 is connected to a yamaha ysp2700 soundbar.

I always thought Auto selects TV led anyway.

UPDATE:

Played a bit of A star is Born UHD, looks fine on my B6, no difference between AUTO and TV LED.
Player Led doesn't work at all it's just all pixilated with blues and greens. I gather that setting doesn't work on the 6 series Oleds.

Last edited:
For people not doing so already, it's highly recommended that you use nothing but Premium certified HDMI leads, especially between devices that support 4K HDR encoded images at up-to 60Hz with BT.2020 colour space and offer HDMI ARC.

The original HDMI lead that came with your OPPO is 'Premium Certified' and conforms to the current highest available HDMI specification, so if you're not using it you really should be!

All genuine 'Premium Certified' products display a security hologram on (their advertising and on) their packaging (see below) to prevent counterfeiting, which can be scanned to confirm that they are a genuine product.

ccpLabel.png

For peace of mind, these are the only HDMI leads you should using now.

And don't get bamboozled by suppliers quoting higher spec leads and ridiculous prices because they really can't be trusted. Just buy the genuine 'Premium Certified' products that come with a security hologram.

Cheers

For people not doing so already, it's highly recommended that you use nothing but Premium certified HDMI leads, especially between devices that support 4K HDR encoded images at up-to 60Hz with BT.2020 colour space and offer HDMI ARC.

The original HDMI lead that came with your OPPO is 'Premium Certified' and conforms to the current highest available HDMI specification, so if you're not using it you really should be!

All genuine 'Premium Certified' products display a security hologram on (their advertising and on) their packaging (see below) to prevent counterfeiting, which can be scanned to confirm that they are a genuine product.

ccpLabel.png

For peace of mind, these are the only HDMI leads you should using now.

And don't get bamboozled by suppliers quoting higher spec leads and ridiculous prices because they really can't be trusted. Just buy the genuine 'Premium Certified' products that come with a security hologram.

Cheers

Was the 1st thing I did during testing, Oppo have confirmed they are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue.

Was the 1st thing I did during testing, Oppo have confirmed they are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue.

Although it doesn't seem to effect me on my B6, I might change to TV LED as well, seen as that's what AUTO selects anyway.

Has anyone had any better replies from Oppo

Hello
I confirm that the wrong colors and the pink image are due to the latest software
This was proven after I purchased a second-hand player who had not been upgraded and upgraded until
UDP20XEU-60-0625 and everything works in it
Those who want to stop in the UDP20XEU-60-0625 software and do not go to the last until they are fixed
I'm sorry for my english but it's from google translate

Wish we could downgrade cto the previous firmware, I would straight away.

"""Wish we could downgrade cto the previous firmware, I would straight away."""

Unfortunately, this is not done with somebody
The downgrade for the downgrade is to send the player to the technicians after you first manage to convince them of the problem
But do not worry because I think they know the problem and will repair it
I'm also interested in fixing my first player

"""Wish we could downgrade cto the previous firmware, I would straight away."""

Unfortunately, this is not done with somebody
The downgrade for the downgrade is to send the player to the technicians after you first manage to convince them of the problem
But do not worry because I think they know the problem and will repair it
I'm also interested in fixing my first player

Have you contacted Oppo regarding this issue

Yes I also contacted the UK before closing down the page and they told me they knew the problem and they had a good idea for the solution and that they had to talk to the Chinese people who were busy with the new year's celebrations.
I tried to communicate when the page opened and there was no answer
I also contacted the Americans who told me that they did not have the same problem in their area
To downgrade the Firmware, my Americans said they were not competent and talked to UK technicians
to send the player there

Since loading the European UDP20XEU-65-0131 S/W DSD128 files via USB doesn’t seem to work with my Amp, see signature. While the Oppo seems to play the Amp is silently and indicates no input. I’m sure this used to work... DSD64 still play with same settings, as do SACDs.

Anyone using DSD128 files?

I have the same issue with Marantz SR5010 and LG C6 OLED. If I switch off the receiver the pass-throughed picture is Ok, but with switched on receiver the colors are bad.
I wrote to Oppo. I am waiting their respond.
Yesterday, before upgrade it was perfect. :-(

Setup Menu > Video Output Setup > HDR Setting ; Dolby Vision to TV-led
Now I have correct colors.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom