1. Join Now

    AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest on TW100 and Epson dead pixel policy

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr. Wilby, May 28, 2003.

  1. Mr. Wilby

    Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2002
    Messages:
    636
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Ratings:
    +16
    I sent a mail today to an online PJ retailer enquiring about whether they could do a dead pixel check for me before purchasing (at my expense of course).

    They said they'd look into Epson's policy on this PJ and assuming all was well, they'd be able to help.

    I've just heard back that Epson will only guarantee 99.99% of all pixels. That just leaves 0.01%, which on a TW100 is something like

    1280 x 720 = 921,600
    * 0.0001 (allowed defective pixels) = 92
    * 3 (three panels) = ~276 pixels

    Or if you ignore the 3 panels, then its still 92!

    Here's the Epson blurb (from the retailer) on the subject (my emphasis):

    "During projection, some points (dots) may appear lit at all times, or they may be dark at all times. This is caused by the characteristics of the LCD panel, and is not a sign of a malfunction. The LCD panel is manufactured using an extremely high level of precision technology, however 0.01% or less of the pixels may be missing or appear bright all the time."

    You're 'avin a laff! :eek:

    Also, see here for a previous thread on the subject of the TW100 & dead pixels in particular.
     
  2. Messiah

    Messiah
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2002
    Messages:
    7,534
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just get an HT1000 :) No pixel problems (at least if a mirror dies it's only a 'smaller' black blob (although I've not heard of any mirror faulty DLPs).

    Much smoother image too and quieter to boot. Having used one for 24 hours now I can confirm it is one mighty pj that I think anyone who owns one would be absolutely delighted with. I've owned a TW100 and if I were buying again in the £3k arena what would I get - HT1000 without a shadow of a doubt.
     
  3. Mr. Wilby

    Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2002
    Messages:
    636
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Ratings:
    +16
    :D

    I had a feeling you'd pop up and chime in with your HT1000 :D :D

    Thing is... its DLP (rainbow city?) and then to top it all off, its 4:3...

    If it were LCD I could probably cope with the 4:3 ratio, but I'm ruling out DLP for the time being until the technology moves on a bit...

    HS10, LPX-500 or TW100. That's it for me for now (until the Next Big Thing)... Really tough deciding which one though... When it comes to deciding I'm as bad as you Messiah, just at the cheaper end of the spectrum :rotfl:
     
  4. LV426

    LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2000
    Messages:
    12,842
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    166
    Location:
    Somewhere in South Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Mr Wilby - yes, they are having a laugh. But they are by no means alone. Virtually every LCD device (PJ, monitor, TV etc) on sale comes with a similar statement of 'policy'.

    Which is why I would always counsel anyone buying LCD to buy from somewhere where either:

    a) they have a very good returns policy OR
    b) you can check out the exact item you are buying before you pay for it.
     
  5. Mr. Wilby

    Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2002
    Messages:
    636
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Ratings:
    +16
    nigel - yep, I know... but 100 pixels is beyond sense. I know most have much lower levels though. Even the 20 pixels that was cited in another thread is a joke :)
     

Share This Page

Loading...