1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest DVD Recorders compatibility with +R/+RW DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by howardmg, Sep 17, 2004.

1. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've taken a look at www.cdrinfo.com and www.videohelp.com and whilst these are great sites they don't seem to help much on the latest DVD recorders, nor the playing side of PC burners (at least as far as I could see).

I have a Dell PC with a NEC DVD Burner for formats +R/+RW and am trying (with difficulty) to choose a DVD/HDD recorder.

I have 2 questions:-
    1) Does anyone know whether the latest HDD/DVD -R/-RW recorders (Pansonic / Toshiba etc) will play +R/+RW discs?
    2) Will the PC be able to read -R/-RW/RAM discs recorded by the DVD Recorder?

If the answer's no then it seems that my selection will be limited to the new Sony HX900 /1000 (although sadly they don’t include DVD library software which I was hoping for).

2. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Panasonics are usually -R's or -RAM only : e85 seems to be.

Toshiba RDXS32 is as well.

PC should be able to - mine reads -Rs that are created on my E50.

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    None of the current or future Panasonics play +r/rw, or -rw for that matter. I guess they feel that -r and ram covers it. Especially as the mid priced/higher end recorders come with a substantial HDD.

4. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Is your NEC burner an old one ? Most of the recent models (2500, 2510) can play anything but RAM disks. You can pick the 2510 up from dabs.com for about £45 - can use dual-layer disks as well.

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    My laptop has a Matsush.ita (Panasonic) UJ810E DVD multi writer, it's billed as being -R/-RW/RAM compatible only but it will quite happily play DVD+R finalised discs. I was suprised when I found out and quite glad I gave it a go.

On a similar note, my original launch PS2 will quite happily play DVD-R and DVD+R discs. Those were meant to be notoriously finicky in what they would play so again I was suprised at the lack of hassle.

S.

6. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All of the Panny recorders (with HDD or otherwise) play -RW, both in Video & -VR modes.

7. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked at the Philips HDRW720 - it has a Disk Library

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    This machine is severely limited: it has no Playlists, Flexible Record, Re-encoding or decent editting which make it a poor relation of the established HDD/DVDRs from Panasonic/Toshiba/Pioneer. Not to mention teh very real possibility of reliability issues. If your looking for a 'plus' HDD/DVDR the only real option is the Sony models - which actually look quite good.

9. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by a playlist

10. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just consulted the Panasonic E85 manual and I think the main advantage of that type of playlist as opposed to the Philips HDD one ( which is different than the Philips +RW/+R one ) is that you can select chapter 2 then 7 then 3 to play. You have to do linear editing on the Philips so no good for that type of camcorder editing but very easy for Advert removal.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    You really need to use it to appreciate it - Playlists are indeed extremely useful for re-arrnaging clips (ideal for music) but there main use is non-destructive editting, i.e. if you make a mistake then the original is still intact. They also assist in avoiding fragmentation of your HDD.

12. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can appreciate that and know there are lots that the Philips cannot do, however editing is now just going into edit mode then aprt from the moving around ie FFW, Frame advance, adjustable jump setting, then a single button is use to insert chapters and Hide/Show them ie touch the botton and a chapter marker is inserted and the Hide is On, move to required place touch the same button and another chapter is inserted and Hide is Off. It also displays a zoomable timeline as well and at the end of editing you end up with what is in effect a Playlist which has in effect a chapter mark for each Hide and shows the total time for that playlist. You can delete it and start again. It is now quite easy compared to an 880 which I also own for nearly 2 years - with one repaired fault after 6 months. I was tossing up between the 720 and the Toshiba XS32 both of which can control external boxes but went with the easy GuidePlus and dual external control on the 720

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic machines,old and new can play +R without problem.Some models will not play +RW.I had an A360 that played +R,but had trouble with printable topped discs.It played +RW aswell.

14. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question is if the Toshiba RDXS32 can play finalized DVD+R/RW?

15. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dr Joshua - my Tosh plays finalised +R's perfectly. I have not tried a finalised +RW in it. Maybe I'll try this weekend :) My Dell PC reads finalised -R's perfectly but I did try a -RW a while ago and it wouldn't work, which is a shame. I was thinking about unwrapping the RAM disk that came with the player and trying that, but from what I read here it is unlikely to work in my Dell PC (although I have a DVD-ROM and DVD-burner so I guess one of them might read RAM? In fact I may not have tried the -RW in both drives, hmmm maybe a solution to using a re-usable to move stuff from the Tosh to the Dell yet...)

howardmg - I started with exactly your conundrum 4 months ago. Much trawling, opinions from here and DS forums. I bought a Tosh 2 months ago and am delighted. It does mean more media (both + and - R & RW are in the house) but in practice it hasn't been a problem. The Sony does look good though, so if money is no object them fill your boots ;)

16. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that - I still haven't decided but Tosh is looking the favourite at moment. Good news that Tosh can play +R and I've checked my Dell and that's ok with -R, so the extra formats on the Sony don't look too important.

Basic question appears to be whether or not the Sony is worth the extra £150

- great playback PQ
    - HQ+ recording PQ on HDD
    - bigger HDD

versus Toshiba's advantages

- better editing including HDD playlists
    - flexible recording
    - library option for RAM discs
    - and quieter fan?

Hopefully I'll finally make my mind once I've seen a decent review of the Sony HX900/1000...

Mark

17. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi i have had the ToshXS32 and can say that it did not play +r or +RW finalized or not i now have the Panny DMRE85 and to my surprise this does play both +R and +RW my Toshiba DRM1 also refused to play the + format giving you the message check disc it could be dirty or damaged.