Latest beta version of Windows Vista (inc Media Centre) ?

mark.carline

Novice Member
I am tempted to have a go and build a 2nd machine for looking at Windows Vista Beta and

I did sign up for the free beta downloan and I got a key but didnt download the massive ISO download as I had heard that it didnt work with the Xbox 360 in the UK.

I just wondered:

- Does anyone know what the latest beta is ?
- Where can I get a copy ??? (! hint ;) hint !)
- Can I use my original allocated beta keycode ?
- Does it work ok with xbox 360 in the uk ?
- Does it work with the Hauppauge Nova-T-500 ?

p.s. Note to moderators - Any chance of you creating a new "Windows Vista Media Centre" thred ??

PeteT

Novice Member
mark.carline said:
- Does anyone know what the latest beta is ?
5432 - I think

mark.carline said:
- Where can I get a copy ??? (! hint ;) hint !)
Microsoft. Just log in as before (as a beta user) and download the file, you should get the latest

mark.carline said:
- Can I use my original allocated beta keycode ?
Yes

mark.carline said:
- Does it work ok with xbox 360 in the uk ?
I believe so

mark.carline said:
- Does it work with the Hauppauge Nova-T-500 ?
Don't know

Pete

mark.carline

Novice Member

PeteT

Novice Member
mark.carline said:
Do you have any links - Cant seem to find it on their site ?

p.s. just discovered the latest build is 5472:

http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/archive/2006/07/18/442399.aspx

anyones using this build ?
log onto http://connect.microsoft.com/
then goto My Participation, then click on Vista, then click on downloads, scroll down the list you will see one on the 16/07/2006 named "Windows Vista Build 5472 for X86 and X64" click that.

I meant 5472, i couldn't get the networking/internet access to work right with this build. I am going to try an older one (5456).

PeteT

Novice Member
DuncanWardle said:
does it work with the MCE remote and keyboard ?
Yes as far as i can remember.

pyrotenax

Pre-RC1 build 5536 is latest build (available from *usual places*) , works great and looks very nice indeed , specially Aero

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I have a spare PC and had a play with the Vista Beta - I like the styling very much, but gave up on it when I couldn't find any anti-virus software to run on it, so did not want it on the network unprotected.

pyrotenax

lisag said:
I have a spare PC and had a play with the Vista Beta - I like the styling very much, but gave up on it when I couldn't find any anti-virus software to run on it, so did not want it on the network unprotected.
Why didnt you just use the one recommended by Vista ? Its a free trial download that lasts for 90 days

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Yes, I should have done - but then I knew I would have to pay afterwards, and I never like doing that!

eternaldark

Novice Member
i managed to get the free version of AVG working

if having trouble installing it all you need to do is extract the whole setup via winrar and rename the setupavg.exe to avgset.exe and it will install :thumbsup:

adrianwi

Novice Member
You need a lightening fast PC. I installed on a AMD 2000+ with 1GB RAM and 256MB Graphics and went back to XP after 3-4 weeks.

Was slower than trying to run Windows 3.1 on a 286 machine!

pyrotenax

adrianwi said:
You need a lightening fast PC. I installed on a AMD 2000+ with 1GB RAM and 256MB Graphics and went back to XP after 3-4 weeks.

Was slower than trying to run Windows 3.1 on a 286 machine!
No you dont , installed on a 1.73GHz laptop here with 1GB ram

eternaldark

Novice Member
I believe the lastest versions of the build from Beta 2 upwards run a lot faster as they are gradually getting closer to final code. I'm waiting on 5536 to finish,but tried 5456 build and was a lot better than the Beta 2 5272 build.

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
I am using 5382 (the official beta) on a 1.8gig laptop. Don't the updates we get effectively bring 5382 up to the later Betas?

eternaldark

Novice Member
Cable Monkey said:
I am using 5382 (the official beta) on a 1.8gig laptop. Don't the updates we get effectively bring 5382 up to the later Betas?
I dont think so i know there were a few security updates, but you can upgrade the beta 2 to a higher build i did it from 5372 > 5456 and noticed a difference. Looking forward to trying the RC1 build have heard promising things about it

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
I'm getting some fixes but also notifications some issues are fixed in RC1.

eternaldark

Novice Member
its probably meaning that the issues are resolved in RC1 but you probably do have to update to the latest versions

hot-fuzz

Im assuming the Beta Version is free, and so there must be alot they are holding back to give people a reason to buy the new O/S rather than stick to the Beta version.

Im keeping an eye on this O/S to see ifs going to be worth buying or not.

eternaldark

Novice Member
Highlander1 said:
Im assuming the Beta Version is free, and so there must be alot they are holding back to give people a reason to buy the new O/S rather than stick to the Beta version.

Im keeping an eye on this O/S to see ifs going to be worth buying or not.
It should for all intents and purposes be identical although the beta 2 serial will expire in a years time so you'd have to upgrade anyway.
Unless your naughty and use other means which i wont go into.

Personally looking forward to this waiting on the latest version to D/L - 5536 and have managed to aquire the RC1 release (if not a fake):rolleyes:

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
I have a feeling the naughty methods will be sorted by MS without too much difficulty. They are piloting the new methods on XP with some success.