Latest BBFC Classification Notes!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The following titles have recently been classified by the BBFC, and there's some interesting titles and notes, that you may enjoy:

CINEMA:
- Halloween (18), 110m, 14s (No Cuts)
Rob Zombie's remake, re-imagining and re-invention of the John Carpenter classic, has been given the certificate because of two scenes of explicit and sadistic violence. The strongest moments in the film which feature one man having his throat cut and another man being drowned. The BBFC say: The set-up and long lead-in to the sight of the throat being cut, lent the scene a palpable sense of sadism which, allied to the image, rendered this scene most suitably placed at 18. Similarly, the drowning of a previously sympathetic character was drawn out in such a manner that 18 was again considered the most appropriate category. The sexual detail comprises a brief image in an adult magazine. Other issues in the film include one use of very strong language and frequent use of strong language.

- Shoot 'Em Up! (18), 86m 24s (No Cuts)
Violent comedy action drama, similar to John Woo's "Hard-Boiled", stars Clive Owen, Monica Bellucci, and Paul Giamatti. Owen and Bellucci are the young couple, trying to stop hitman Giamatti from killing a baby. However, the film has been given an 18 rating, for several reasons: SHOOT 'EM UP is an action thriller about a man trying to save a baby from assassins. Acording to the BBFC, the violence is relentless from the very beginning. Though much of the violence is exaggerated and devoid of detail, there are some strong scenes. These include carrots being rammed through the back of a man's head and into another's eye, a severed arm flying towards the camera and a point-of-view shot from inside a man's opened chest cavity. :eek: BBFC Guidelines at 15 state that 'violence may be strong but may not dwell on the infliction of pain and injury'. The detail of injury and the sheer amount of violence meant that the film could not be contained at that category. The film also associates sex with violence. One of the film's shoot-out scenes takes place while the hero is having sex. We hear the woman moaning and grunting as the shooting continues and she climaxes after being bashed against the wall as the last of the baddies is dispatched with a shot to the head. :rotfl: This blatant sexualisation of violence was felt to reinforce the adult category. This has "Cult Status" written all over it! :D

HOME VIEWING:
- The Matrix (15), 137m 33s, No Cuts
This HD-DVD version of the film, with a Picture-in-picture audio commentary, has been finally granted a full, complete and uncut version at 15, despite most previous releases being censored. No news on whether the other two movies in the series will also be given a release in HD as part of the "Matrix Trilogy HD Collection" which can be bought in the USA, but it's a start, I guess.

- Jericho: Complete Season 1 Boxed Set (12)
The entire first season, includes all 22 episodes made, plus various extras, including: 20m of deleted scenes, a 46m Making-Of documentary, and a further hour's worth of additional material. All episodes will be in 16:9 widescreen. No release date yet, but should be out by late-October.

Various Mario Bava horror/adventure titles, are being released, courtesy of Starz Entertainment, including:
- Knives Of The Avenger (12), 84m 32s, No cuts, but in Dubbed Widescreen format only.
- I Tre Volti Della Paura (aka Black Sabbath) (15), 92m 16s, No cuts, in an English Subtitled, Italian-language Widescreen print.
- Kill, Baby... Kill! (15), 83m 20s, No cuts, English language, Widescreen format.
- The Mask Of Satan (aka Mask Of Satan, Black Sunday) (15), 86m 39s, No cuts, English language, Widescreen format.

- Madadayo (PG), 134m 08s, No cuts.
The latest Akira Kurosawa release, in an English subtitled, Japanese-language, anamorphic widescreen print.

Also currently being certificated, but not yet completed the process, are the following:
- Desperate Housewives: Complete Season 3 (15, plus extras)
- Lost: Complete Season 3 (15, with extras)
- The IT Crowd: Series 2 (15, with extras)
- Creepshow: Special Edition (15, double-disc, DTS sound, plus tons of extras for this classic horror/comedy movie)
- Not Going Out!: Series 1 (15, no extras)
- Please, Sir!: Complete Series 4 (12, plus extras)
- The Brides Of Dracula (12) 82m 00s, No cuts, 4:3 print only!
- Mork & Mindy: Complete Season 1 (PG)
- Mission Impossible: Complete Season 3 (PG)
- The Muppet Show: Complete Season 2 (U/PG depending on extras)
- Spongebob Squarepants: Complete Season 3 (PG)
- Grey's Anatomy: Complete Season 3 (12/15 depending on content and extras)
- South Park: Complete Season 5 (15/18, plus extras including deleted scenes, animatics, audio commentaries, behind-the-scenes material, and other related stuff, courtesy of Paramount/Comedy Central, rather than Warner Bros who botched-up UK releases for Seasons 1-4 inc).

Red Dwarf is also currently going through certification, but there are limited details as to what form it is being processed, e.g. a re-release, the whole series plus extras, or the original productions (not the ones with the dodgy remastered special effects). More details, as and when. :)

Pooch

:rotfl: @ some of the explanations for Halloween and Shoot Em Up

Looking forward to it :devil:

Hi LFC,

You may laugh, and I can see why you would do so, but the good thing, is that at least it stops teenagers sneaking in to see a film that's really not suitable for them. ;) And it's better than having the film be cut for a 15 certificate, just to make it more commercial. :lesson:

But, at least the BBFC give decisions, and for the most part, they do at least seem reasonable explanations.

Pooch

Oh don't worry, I do get that thinking. Some on here may look down on moi because I am a mere uni student, but I like my films and hate disturbances at the cinema.

I think the PR people should quote some of those reasoning's to get people into the Odeon :p

But, at least the BBFC give decisions, and for the most part, they do at least seem reasonable explanations.

Pooch

I'm all for them giving whatever explanations they want, so long as they keep letting stuff through uncut.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom