Later With Jools Holland in HD

loz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This programme merits a thread of it's own. :smashin:

Isn't it the most gobsmackingly gorgeous HD visual and audio treat?

The sound quality is awesome for live performances. :thumbsup:

There are a large number of episodes being shown at the moment.
Do people realise these are not generally repeats?
Unlike some other programmes on BBC HD, even the back to back episodes are not repeats.

OK, not every artist is to everyone's taste. But surely there is such variety, there has to be something you like once in a while?

Quite agree - fantastic! Hghlights for me were the KT Tunstall and Robbie Williams one recently and Dave Gilmour with Crosby and Nash a week or so ago. Pure class and just the best quality picture and sound; they even managed to fix the centre channel cutting out from the KTT preview clip. I thought that had to be at source - funny they don't fix it in the preview.

Later.... is a wicked programme and also a fantastic way to find new music.

I have been series linking these and there is the odd one I must have missed when it was on BBC2. Even better in HD and DD.

Nice one BBCHD.

JohnD76 said:
Later.... is a wicked programme and also a fantastic way to find new music.

Totally agree - I have already made a few new CD purchases of artists I have seen on Later.
To be honest at the moment this is one of the few programmes on HD that really makes the most of my 5.1 system.

It would be intereting to know what bandwidth is being used for the 5.1 sound tracks.....

So the 28th series starts tonight... however I can't see it being shown on BBC HD, anyone know more?

I think they tend to repeat the shows in HD at a later date - at least that's what they have been doing so far.

You're right though - fantastic picture quality - and superb sound quality - thumbs up to the Beeb.

One of the great things about this is that it was a 'must-watcj' programme when it was in SD!

Both PQ & SQ are pretty much as good as we get through a Sky HD box at the moment.

The format is almost exactly designed to show off HD. Very few cameras are needed. The lighting can be very controlled. The cameramen/lighting have a long time to set up. THey can use pretty much the same lighting, angles, etc every week. They have all week to 'tweak' before the next show.

Oh, and it's on the BBC, who appear to actually care.

Steve W

Agreed.. great programme.. almost designed for HD!

Not sure I would want to watch it in SD.. never did the first time around & without the great sound it'd not be the same.

Tbh Loz, I have had brief viewings of this but will now put in my Sky+ planner just to check out this awesome PQ and DD sound.

As ever, Loz, your recommendations are worth listening to ..... :smashin:

Pity the new series isn't going straight to HD :(

Pity the new series isn't going straight to HD :(

Can't be bothered looking in the planner, so Loz, when's best to record and series link to?

I find the DD soundtrack a bit bass light. My REL sub barely moves. I usually flick my amp onto 'direct' or 5ch stereo and this retrieves the bass.

Picture awesome tho!

I find the DD soundtrack a bit bass light. My REL sub barely moves. I usually flick my amp onto 'direct' or 5ch stereo and this retrieves the bass.

Picture awesome tho!

DD also sounds bass light on my rig so i listen in pro-logic. I thought this might be a fault on my kit but maybe not.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom