1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late Night Enjoyment

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by YodasYFronts, Nov 2, 2004.

1. YodasYFronts

YodasYFronts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping that some users here might be able to offer me a little advice. Basically I am in the market for a new receiver, although the budget is not huge, and have decided that due to the proximity of my neighbours i.e. all around could use the midnight, etc mode found on some receivers. However I am having trouble finding much information as to what receivers offer this facility. I have heard some good things about the Denon AVR1905 but alas have seen no information with regards this potentially life saving feature. Therefore I would appreciate any information with regards which receivers off this facility including whether the 1905 has this. Many thanks in advance.

2. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Buy the receiver you want with the features you want and the "midnight" mode comes into play when you turn the volume knob anti-clockwise.
    This keeps the volume at friendly neighbour setting.

3. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Yamaha AX750SE/RXV750 is very good for home cinema & stereo & it has night listening mode,if it was over ur budget,so there's the RXV650.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    That's interesting... I wasn't aware receivers offered this feature. What do they do? Cut out the sub?

5. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They limit the dynamic range, so it is not the same as turning the volume knob anti-clockwise. In the night mode you would still be able to understand the conversations but the loud scenes like bombs would become less intrusive.

6. YodasYFronts

YodasYFronts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contar, that is the night mode I utilise at present and am often caught out with a sudden bang or miss a bit of dialogue due to a previous anti-clockwise turn. Maybe when I move this wont be such a problem but at the mo our walls are made of some material resembling paper and being the courteous yet lazy neighbour I am would like to let a machine manage this task.
    Anyway I have been having a look around and have seen no mention of the 1905 offering this service however I have seen the Pioneer VSXD814, that does have this function going for a reasonable looking 240 quid. Does anyone here have any experience of this machine and if so was it a positive experience?
    Again thanks in advance.

7. kotlewm

kotlewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  8. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm lucky enough to live in a detatched house so no neighbour probs (good on'ya for considering yours though :smashin: ) but I do have 2 small children, so am in the same boat late at night. My amp has the depressed dynamic range mode, but I'm still forced to listen too quietly for my liking. I bought a set of Sennheiser 595 headphones instead.....not cheap but bloody brill, create a really good sound stage for headphones. Just a thought.

9. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the pioneer vsx-d814 its a good amp and has the features you want.

10. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I think most of the budget Pioneer amps have midnight modes and a mode to make speech clearer at lower volumes. I have a 301 in my small flat which was about £150 in Richer Sounds last time I looked. However, in the end we had to just lose the sub from our setup completely as the flats have wooden floors so the bass really carries.

11. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: ALL, yes ALL Dolby Digital receivers have dynamic range compensation, compression.

Some manufacturers call it "midnight mode" (SONY).
    Its also available in most DVD player setup menu's.
    It is NOT compatible with DTS.

Look at fig 22 for more info

http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/tech_library/42_DDFAQ.pdf

HTH's

12. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I do most of my DVD viewing after my 2 small kids have gone to bed. My Arcam receiver's (AVR100) DYN (dynamic compression mode) is invaluable. To be honest I leave it on 50% compression all the time as I find with most movies the dynamic range is far too wide anyway. I seem to be always cranking up the audio level just to hear the dialogue. I live in a detatched house so noise wise I don't worry too much, however I am always conscience of a sudden burst of noise waking up the kids.

As has been stated above, compression is a feature of DD NOT DTS.

13. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Yamaha RXV650 have both the features,a Dynamic Range compression & a night listening mode for both DolbyDigital & DTS,& i think the later one is the most imprtant for the user who posts this thread.