1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

late-hitting bass

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by high_ryda, Jul 31, 2004.

1. high_ryda

high_ryda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

I've got 2 12" Alpine 1241 type R subs and a Sony 1600 GSD XPlod amp (600 watts RMS @ 2 ohms). I'm pretty happy with the setup overall, but i have one question. When I play fast-paced music, like techno or any kind of dance music, the bass seems to be just following the rest of the music. If i tap my foot and don't concentrate on the bass, it seems that the boom hits about half a second after the rest of the music. This drives me crazy because techno is supposed to be about getting you up-beat, and the lagging bass is quite a drag. By the way, i've got 8 guage wire to the amp, which i know is a mistake in its own. Do i just need to fork out another hundred bucks for a capacitor, or should i invest in some new wire between my amp and my battery, or what??? Any help would be muuuuuch appreciated.
    ~Devin

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'll transfer this post to the ICE forum where it may get a better response

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    What size and type of enclosure are you using and is this in accordance with Alpines advice ?

4. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a glorious 7 weeks last summer I was the proud owner of an Infinity Perfect 12 with a 400 Watt Rockford Fosgate amp, (it was stolen in less time than it took me to decide which sub/amp to buy! :mad: :thumbsdow and it had taken me a good 2 of those weeks to clock up the 20hours of running in time! :mad: :mad: )

I also experienced the problem you are describing, with fast music there was a noticeable delay between the bass hit from the 4 main speakers and that from the sub. I had chosen a sealed enclosure as it was recommended and I wanted "fast" and "punchy" bass. When I was reading through the printed information that came with the Perfect 12 I found a graph showing something called "Group delay" plotted against frequency. If I remember correctly the group delay was at its highest around the 50Hz mark and was something like 40ms. I think the delay at bass frequencies becomes audible at anything above 30ms so this explained what I was noticing. Do you find that the higher bass notes from your sub are on the beat?

Obviously group delay curves will be different for different loudspeakers, did the Alpine drivers come with any paperwork detailing anything like that?

5. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Delayed bass is often a complaint when the speakers and subwoofer is out of phase.

Try swapping the phase on the subwoofer.

Swap the + and the - leads around at the amp.

What crossover settings are you running?

Infintiy Perfect 12's are extemely tight when loaded into a correct enclosure (1.5 - 1.75 cubic foot) most pople have them in too small enclosures (like 1 cubic foot) which bumps up the Qtc too high and makes them boom/delay.