Lastest Version of Arcam DV88

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jasonjo, Apr 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi,

Having searched through the forum I have seen quite a few old issues with the DV88.

With the latest changes to the drive hardware and recent firmware upgrades to v 1.76. How do people find the latest version of the player?

Has it improved and is it the best player for £1000???

JJ

2. baileych

baileych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think that there are about three models of the transport and lots of versions of the firmware for the transport and the main software. I think I'm on 1.74 and I have an 'LO' revision transport.

I think it's great and I've had no problems. It's had excellent picture quality and is great (think Arcam CD72 ish) with CDs.

I haven't looked at the current crop of £900+ players from Sony/Toshiba etc. which I guess are it's current competition.

There's an unofficial FAQ (nothing to do with me but it's quite informative) here: http://www.envytech.co.uk/dv88/.

Charles.

3. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Charles, do you have the progressive output board fitted?

I'm looking for a player with PAL progressive, I've tried the FMJ which is excellent but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for DVD playback only.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from the DV88 to the FMJ, and I think it is worth it, even without using progressive scan the image is a lot better, and, of course, the sound too...

And the difference in price, if you include the PS module, is not that much...