lastest update from optoma

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by big ric, Dec 6, 2004.

1. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    Spoke to Optoma today about the problem with RD50/65 i said people were getting right fed up with not having a official statement on the matter i did ask them if it had any thing to do with the colour wheel being different to the one used in USA as i read on the this forum he said the wheels are the same and someone will make an offical statment soon on either this forum or the Optoma website hopefully it will include what the problem is exactly
    If i find out any more information i will post it up here, for now i dont think theres any more i could do in regard to this matter
    Thanx
    big Ric

2. SimonHod

SimonHod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers big ric. Your efforts have certainly been appreciated by myself. I have also emailed the Optoma representative who demo'd the RD65 to me. He has responded advising my email was passed onto the product manager and that he will get back to me as soon as he has some info.
    Just have to wait and see I suppose....

3. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :clap: you are a true helper among us optoma owners :hiya:
    speaking of which im looking for a dvd player :/ any good ones which use HDMI connection?

also it might sound daft but are the DVI and HDMI connections the same or am i suppose to get some adapter?

4. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the dvi passes only pictures and hdmi passes sound and pictures when i spoke to optoma today i asked for an adapter to be sent to me
    as they are should come with the tv
    big Ric

5. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    So, not only no manual, incorrect power cord, but no DVI->HDMI adaptor.

With the judder issue on NTSC media, the more I'm hearing about the Optoma sets, the more I'm looking at other manufacturers kit (e.g. Toshiba).

6. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm still hoping SOMETHING will be done about it,surely they cant just leave it as it is?

They are advertised as NTSC compatible and clearly arent capable for some reason or other.I'm expecting an email today from the dealer I got it from regarding return(optoma rep is visiting them today) but in all honesty I'm hoping it can be fixed rather than refunded,I love the set in all other respects.

Sean

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Official Statement from Optoma:

8. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Yeah that's what I thought. Not particularly happy about it really, at least they're actually telling us something though!!

9. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a real shame... I was all set to buy the RD65 but not if this going to be the final word on the NTSC problem :(

10. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well thats a bit of a downer really,love the way they put emphasis on the fact its a "small number" of customers who need NTSC compatability hehe.

Nothing will be done about it with these sets clearly,so mine will be going back and I'll be going back to front projection again I suppose.

Sean

11. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    The only option I can see for now is an external 60-50hz converter that will do it without too obvious a judder (which I think is what Optoma are going to look into). Some scalers do better frame-rate conversion than others so there may be a way around this.

12. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Trouble is,how long do you wait to know if its gonna be sorted? you reach a certain point where returning it could become a tad more complicated.
    I'm concerned if I wait a week/two weeks more and hope a solution arises that I may not then be able to return it if nowt gets done.

As i just typed in an email to hifibitz that statement from optoma basically takes a long while to say not a great deal really :)

Sean

13. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    Do you know of a good converters what would do the trick, are there any dvd players that have a good enough converter to do the job and how much money are we talking about for a converter would any converter from keene electronics or lektropacks be good enough
    big Ric

14. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Unfortunately each and every device that converts frames does it with different results, I don't really know much about different algorithms used etc. I've never seen perfect 50-60Hz though, I've seen very good (and something I would live with) with video processors that have had to convert all signals to 60Hz to work via DVI with certain displays. But nothing that hasn't had the slightest judder somewhere.

I'm hoping that something will come to market quickly from someone like Keene with a little persuasion from Optoma and it's resellers ;)

15. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    When I went to view the set in Watford I noticed the 'Juddering motion' on a HD Tape of Xmen 2 which was from the US. When I asked the people demoing the set why it was jumping they replied 'Oh, it must be a dodgy tape' and quickly removed the tape and put on a DVD. Seeing as I have never seen a HD tape and none of my demo DVD software (all region 2), produced this fault I accepted their comments as the truth.

Looking back now I can see that they knew of this problem, as it is a known fault with the RD50 and they were probably ‘covering their tracks'.

They also stated that the projector inside the RD65 is a H77 themescene projector, without the casing and in a TV surround. I questioned this point. As the asking price of the H77 is identical to the RD65 (£4000). How can Optoma offer the RD65 model for the same money with clearly more costs involved (i.e. the case, screen etc).He replied 'they had recouped the costs from the technology of the H77'. Which after speaking to the tech team at Optoma I now find out this is not true. The only thing the H77 and the RD65 have in common is a HD2+ chip and they are both sold by Optoma.

All in all I feel Optoma has deliberately missled the public as to the set limitations. It was only when I threatened to take action about the mis leading advertising as it stated ‘NTSC compatible’. However shortly after they did remove the wording 'NTSC compatible' from their advertising. I then pointed out that this was still only a half truth as someone purchasing a TV set in this day and age wouldn't expect it to not be NTSC compatible especially if they are spending £4000. They promptly changed the advert a second time to not 'NTSC compatible' which is as it stands today.

All in all I have had numerous conversations with numerous staff at Optoma and in the end I had to forward a letter to the Managing Director on this situation to get any real response. I feel let down by Optoma and frustrated. I like the RD65’s PAL pictures, I like the size and design but can help but feel if it’s a flawed gem. If only Optoma had tried to come up with some feasible solutions or looked to the H77 for a solution.

I'm glad I have stumbled across this site and hope we can all have the RD65 running NTSC software soon. Although I fear the answer will not come from Optoma.

16. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well i may not have a bigger beast like your RD65 but the little brother RD50 feels your pain, the judders arent so bad on the consoles, its kinda acceptable i guess but still when you pay a lot of money for a tv you would expect it to at least be standard these days.

im sure they can be liable for false advertisement for those who bought early like myself and many others but really they should just get their tech's and work on a solution, you gotta spend a bit to keep the customers happy or else you will get bad reputation.

fingers crossed!!!

oh another thing im worried about, if you go into a higher resolution does that mean the judders get worse? just curious as i can in the future consoles are gonna be 60hz standard at one point in my opinion and probably support progressive scan as standard to all games. and word of advice on this suggest? :confused:

17. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    Hello Locky,

From what I can understand the RD50 and RD65 are unable to display any 60hz picture correctly, which in this day and age is just plain stupid. Optomas response is that they feel that not many people would require a NTSC or 60 hz compatibilty. Forget about all the people with consoles, HD tape from the US and region 1 DVD's.
    I agree that Optoma should compensate by way of an external box or internal fix to correct this problem. I feel terribly let down by optoma and if there was an other 65 inch screen on the market I would not hessitate to get a refund and purchase that instead.
    I would not recommend Optoma products nor would I recommend the customer service.
    A few people in other forums have suggested DVDO iScan HD which retails at around £1000, they say this will correct the problem but do you really want to spend a £1000 on something your tv should do in the first place.
    I have contacted a few magazines reguarding this problem hopefully they will expose Optoma's range as flawed.
    Have you voiced your options with Optoma, if so what did they say?

18. Chris Gilbert

Chris Gilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just spoke to optoma customer support again this morning. The chap on the phone said there's nothing in process to get a fix sorted out. I think they're working around it by changing the literature to not list NTSC as supported

I would expect those of who bought before the advertising and literature changed, can return the sets as faulty. They're admitting the TV can't do what it was meant to by changing the literature.

I've now contacted my dealer to sort out returning my RD50. Shame it's very impressive PAL picture, but I want a TV that covers all current formats, so it's future-proof.

Chris

19. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yeh you can return i as faulty if you were one of the early adopters who were sold it as NTSC compatible.
    Only problem I have is actually waiting for the call form optoma to arrange collection,I was told to expect a call monday,its now friday and still nothing.I
    have the samsung pedestal jobby ordered now so I need the RD50 out of the way,really annoying.

Sean

20. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    I dont blame you for being anoyed. I got a call from a gentleman who worked at Optoma called nick who has offered a refund. I explained that I am now used to the RD65 picture quality and size and there is nothing that will replace it. I have also paid for my old 46inch rear projection tv to be craned to my top floor as the stairs were to narrow. This service cost me £350, he didnt seem bothered or offer to pay my costs if i return the tv.

He was very unsympathetic and said that there would be no fix for the RD65. I explained that he has a lot of unhappy customers on his hands and he disagreed. I then told him to look on the forums and see exactly what his customers are saying. I have contacted a few magazines on this subject and I hope they show Optoma for what they are... Idiots and liars.

21. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    Has anyone got any more news from Optoma about the NTSC juddering issue? Or has everyone returned the sets.

22. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Had none returned, I'm not sure there are many people in your situation Razor, as to me it seems the whole region 1 dvd's is something in the past. Have you had a look at upgrading your DVD to the Pioneer

23. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Mines being returned but only because I have such a huge collection of NTSC material,though I'm starting think optoma are useless now,I've been expecting a call from them for well over a week (nigh on two weeks) to arrange collection of the set and still nothing.
    I wouldnt mind but I cant get refunded untill they've confirmed to hifibitz that its been collected from my premises.

Cant fault Hifibitz,they are trying their best,having confirmed my details to optoma a couple of times now it seems,but I think they've given up now too,and emailed me optoma's phone number so I can ring em myself (something I neither want to nor should have to do imo).

Sean

24. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hifibitz are just the middleman as they can't help you in this matter, they sold the Optomas in truth to people that they worked according to specs.

Optoma is the big liar here who doesn't take their responsibility, i would recommend you to return the product ASAP for a refund before it takes too long, i think there is some time limit when you have to return the product for full refund according the EU Consumer laws.

It would have been better if Optoma said to all customers that they are working on the problem and they will shortly present a solution to this free of charge for their customers, instead they are just bulling you to save their own asses.

25. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well the return request has already been put through by hifibitz so Optoma cant turn around and say its too late to send it back really,they just need to learn to get their arse in gear and call me to arrange a date.

Their words to Hifibitz were something along the lines of "we will contact him a.s.a.p and arrange for the Rd50 to be collected at his convienience" ,what a joke that was :)

Sean

26. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No no, they meant "at their convienience" :laugh:

27. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    The question is would you buy from Optoma again? Do you think they have acted fairly and have they practiced good customer relations?