Last years Denon 3300 or the newer 2400?

screemer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on upgrading from my Onkyo Sr875. I can get last years 3300 for #500, the same as the brand new 2400. I know the new one had less power but apart from that, whats new on the newer ranges? Is it worth getting the older one on a good deal?

Check here for the new features; New Denon amps coming soon

X3300 is getting Dolby Vision / HLG update later on firmware, new Audussey editor app works too. Plus it has 7.2 pre-outs, tad more power, better room correction software and some little things. So i would definitely choose it over X2400. No question about it! The price 499£ is just crazy low, remember the new X3400 will be priced around 900£ in next month.

Denon AVR-X3300W AV Receiver

In the same boat at the minute. The guys I usually get my gear off recommended the 2400 over 3300, both are the same price. Not sure what to do!

In the same boat at the minute. The guys I usually get my gear off recommended the 2400 over 3300, both are the same price. Not sure what to do!

Well clearly the X3300 is the better model still. If the newer model has some features (Heos?) you MUST have over X3300 then you need to go that route, but if not then X3300. I have always bought year older model to get biggest bang for money. For future proofing you won`t lose anything with X3300 vs. X2400H. Guys at the shop will sell you what ever they get maximum profit, so i wouldn`t put too much weight on it.

Denon AVR-X3300W 7.2 Atmos/DTS:X A/V Receiver Review
Denon AVR-X3300W 7.2 Channel AV Receiver Review
Denon AVR-X3300W review

Well clearly the X3300 is the better model still. If the newer model has some features (Heos?) you MUST have over X3300 then you need to go that route, but if not then X3300. I have always bought year older model to get biggest bang for money. For future proofing you won`t lose anything with X3300 vs. X2400H. Guys at the shop will sell you what ever they get maximum profit, so i wouldn`t put too much weight on it.

Denon AVR-X3300W 7.2 Atmos/DTS:X A/V Receiver Review
Denon AVR-X3300W 7.2 Channel AV Receiver Review
Denon AVR-X3300W review

Yeah HEOS stuff doesnt interest me, its in a dedicated home theater room, so only used for movies, no spotify, multiroom etc.. The fact they recommended the 2400 over 3300 when they sell both for the same price was what confused me. I'd understand if the 2400 was more expensive.

Yeah HEOS stuff doesnt interest me, its in a dedicated home theater room, so only used for movies, no spotify, multiroom etc.. The fact they recommended the 2400 over 3300 when they sell both for the same price was what confused me. I'd understand if the 2400 was more expensive.

The retailer's profit margin is greater in relation to the new models when compared to the profits they make on heavilly discounted older models. It is strange however that they aren't eager to get rid of older stock when the opportunity arises in order to make room for new stock? Maybe ask them why they favour the new model over older models?

The retailer's profit margin is greater in relation to the new models when compared to the profits they make on heavilly discounted older models. It is strange however that they aren't eager to get rid of older stock when the opportunity arises in order to make room for new stock? Maybe ask them why they favour the new model over older models?

Think it was a personal preference of the guy. I trust them as I've bought quite a few things off them in the past and they've actually recommended cheaper items over the more expensive if they do the exact same thing previously. Think I might go with the 3300.... Seems more powerful and with the same processing capabilities (atmos etc)

Yep, then the choice is easy. RS has X3300 now for 479£, add the 6year supercare 50£ (which will be returned if you dont need to use it in 6y time). As you never know with todays electronics i would play it safe and buy the 6year warranty. We have members here who have said it works great, if one needs to use it. It might add aftersale value too if you decice to sell the avr later, warranty still on.
DENON AVRX3300WBlack Atmos AV Receiver

The AVRX3300 also includes MultEQ XT32 room EQ correction while the AVRX2400 will only include the lesser XT variant of Audyssey's room correction. One issue to be warry of is the 2 HDMI outputs onboard the AVRX3300. THese are not mirred as is the case with the AVRX2300 and the AVRX2400. One of the AVRX3300's HDMI outputs is a dedicated second HDMI zone output which may be of benefit to those wanting to run a second HDMI zonre, but will be of no use to those who keep both a TV and PJ in their main room and want a receiver with 2 mirrored HDMI outputs. THe AVRX3300 also has pre outs for all channels, but these are only of any benefit if wanting to connect external power amps to power your speakers with.

Thanks dante and gasp.

Inquired regarding the price now. Its RS I always deal with. Their Irish site has the price for the 3300 at €699 and the 2400 at €599. While the UK has the 3300 at £479 (€543) and the 2400 at £499 (€566).

Last edited:
Unless there is a killer feature I want I always buy the old model around new model launch time.

Just bought the X4300 for £799. X4400 will be £1299. There's nothing on the X4400 that is worth £500 for my use in my opinion.

Lee

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom