1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last Try

Discussion in 'TVs' started by adogintheocean, Mar 21, 2005.

1. adogintheocean

adogintheocean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I have £2000 to spend on a TV got to be bigger than 42" and smaller than 60". Needs tuner possibly a stand got to be brand new. needs good picture quality. Wont be watching ;arge amounts of sport on it mostly Films and various tv programs. Like the look of Samsung SP50L7HX 50", Toshiba 52WM48P and Sagem Axium HDD45.

2. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    do a search on the forums. it has enough details about each of the above dlps. however best was is to see them yourself as well as its your eyes only that will be viewing the tv and we all have our own opinions. see some demos of those dlps

3. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Themescene RD50 seems to come off best for picture quality, as long as you havn't got a huge R1 DVD collection

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Optoma RD50 from ntslik at Audiovision it arrived on time Xmas eve
    the only niggle was the lack of a manual but the delivery guys showed me how it all worked. I would expect a manual is included by now ? i had to download mine.
    I nearly returned the set because of the lack of Region One playback i have 130 :r1: DVDs but i found out that a PC works fine with them & has the bonus of having top quality DVD playback.
    If you intend to have a HTPC the RD50 is worth putting on your list to demo.

Audiovision have put the DLP sets in the Vision link
    They stock
    Toshiba 46WM48P 46"
    Optoma Themescene RD50 50"
    Sagem HD-D45 45"
    Toshiba 52WM48P 52"
    Optoma Themescene RD65 65"
    I don't know if they keep them all on hand for a demo as i ordered mine without a demo which i have since found out is not a clever idea putting it mildly.
    Some DLP faults to look out for are
    Rainbows not really a problem at all but a very small number of people see them a lot.
    Banding an example is sky or underwater where a lighter object is surrounded by one colour without much tonal variation for example a submarine is surrounded by bands of the same colour but different shades a bit like looking at a crown colour chart of the same colour or like the contour lines surrounding a hill on a map. I have seen this on all makes of DLP that i have seen so far, it's not important to me as i don't see it often.
    Skin Tones some makes have trouble portraying realistic skin tones & faces look unnatrual these sets may be allright when they are set up properly ?
    Not great for football or Rugby at the moment i have seen good image quality on both but normally it's poor on my set.
    The only other thing i can think of is having to shell out £200 /£300 pounds
    every 3 or 4 years to replace the bulbs not a fault just a sad fact of life.

Hope i havent put you off DLP sets as overall the image quality can be excellent
    but make sure you get a demo
    :)

5. adogintheocean

adogintheocean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanxs for the advice especially about the replacement bulbs i found it very good. now ill have to go to the plasma section and get a good view of the advantages of them and make my decision

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

All of plasma benifits listed below:

1. Plasma's are flat.
    2. Can be wall hung.

7. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    the thompson dlp is thin and can be hung ;) i suppose the only advantage plasma's have now is they r cheaper! than dlp's

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Whats the crack with these Tiny Plasmas. Its advertised every where.

9. khanman

khanman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't touch them with a bargepole.... It will be the biggest mistake of your life. Bought one last December, sent it back last month, now awaiting refund.
    Biggest pile of crap I have ever bought. Go for anything bar a Tiny Plasma...

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I wouldnt buy anything made by tiny. They have a terrible reputation for selling cr*p.

But I can imagine alot of people are tempted by the price. How bad are they? Is it the worst of the worst?

11. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Please buy a Tiny plasma !!! Lay it on it's side with 3 bricks eather end and your misses will love you for ever for getting her a lovely shiny coffee table ! :rotfl:

12. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: , Nice one Si, perhaps i should have kept it after all.