1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last time.......can it be done!?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by buns, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, im getting big pangs to be doing something.....somehow im not comfortable with my set up!

I have my cinema room. The way the room is, a ceiling mount is impossible. Thus I assume a floor location is my only route. The table in which i would locate a crt has dimensions 12.5x33x33 inch. I accept i would need some way to attach this to the ground. The screen is on the opposing wall with its lower edge some 41.5 inches of the ground. Further to this brew is that the back of the housing table could be no more that 130 inches from the screen wall. Hence the screen to tubes distance would be 130 - (lenght of projector).

Currently I have a little sanyo lcd. I reckon i could sell it and get £800. Would this be sufficient to buy a cheap 2nd hand crt which would fit the above conditions and also out perform the sanyo? (given i have no experience.....)

My source is hcpc so that should be no problem.....

Im dying to get it up onto ebay.......but thought i should check one what the final opinion for you guys is.

thanks!

ad

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    have a look on Rolands site , he has some sony 12xx on there at the moment, they are round the £600 mark and this would be a far nicer image than just about any digital imho.

download pjcalc 1.8 i think it is for the 12xx series and put your screen size in and it will tell you if you can do what your asking.

search on google for pjcalc.

if you cant find it i'll up it to an ftp for you, just that i have 3 versions here and it doesn't say what version it is until you install it :rolleyes:

give Gordan a call too and see what he had at the moment.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.........pjcalc is downloading at the min, but slow connection means it'll be a while yet!

Funny, i was talking to roland not 2 days ago about something else! I didnt realise he did machines so inexpensively!

The sony's look nice.....(thats about as much as i know about crt's!) as does the price. Where do they rate as alongsides barco's? As good as the 800 series? Would they be small enough to fit into my table?

Another thing, i quite fancy a little less noise, crt's are generally quite quiet arent they?

ad

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    crt's are generally alot quieter than say a dlp and the noise is different too, you don't get that high pitch whine that you tend to get with digitals, probably because the fans are larger, so they are not as noticable.

You would have to ask roland where they stand compared to a barco, I am a newbie to the world of crt myself.

at a guess I would say that they are somewhere between an 800 and an 801. But if you went for an 808s then you would see a big leap.

I decided to go with a 1271 and a scaler, if I had gone for an 808s I wouldn't have been able to buy a scaler to do it justice at the time.

the size of the sony 12xx is 32 1/4 x 24 1/2 x 14 817 x 620 x 355

taken from here

looks like you may need to make a new coffee table.

Or you could look at a barco 701s 28 X 21.75 X 11 (71 X 55.2 X 28)

good luck ;)

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so clearly size will be an issue.....hmmmmm...... It seems i need about 108 inches to get my 80 inch image.......add that to the length of the machine and im screwied!

I think i had best talk to roland about this before i go selling my current machine!

I guess my screen would probably be too high on the wall?

13.6 degrees upwards angle? Is that from the centre of the tubes to the bottom of the screen? or middle of screen or where?

thanks

ad

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think im going loopy, i didnt know i posted this question just a few weeks ago....... thats the stress again! :(

Anyhow, sanyo is now on ebay.......so keep your fingers crossed for me to get a good sum!

thanks all

ad

7. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ad,

I take it you've figured you can fit it in :D :D

Good luck with ebay

Steve

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    even if you had to drop your screen size down a bit to accomodate a crt, i think it would be well worth it.

just think of all the hours pleasure you can have tweaking a crt :rolleyes: :( :D

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Good luck Buns I'm sure you wont regret it.

Jeff

Small screens are cool!

10. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you pick up a Seleco it should fit your dimensions - I had a 400 and think it was about 30" long- I think you would get the image size pretty close.
    Only thing is the Seleco 400 can only line double so that is why I swapped for a Barco.I guess a 708 would do the job but theyre sought after and hence expensive- I think your buget needs to swell to £1500 to get a fair crack at the job-however I dont know the size of the Sonys

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont think i can go to £1500 unfortunately. I dont think it worthwhile. Given this will be my first crt, and it will be in less than ideal location, i think i might as well just start a bit lower. The sony sounds good, as does barco 801s...... I just have to see how much (if anything) my pj gets, but i reckon i will be limited to below £1000 without doubt.

just keep your fingers crossed that ebay does the trick......else i will be on our classifieds trying to get sold of it!

ad

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    out of interest, how big is the actual casing of an 801? The tubes seem to protrude a long way.......so how far?

ad

13. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUNS

I might be selling an Electrohome ECP 4100 which may fit you requirements and budget. ( the ECPs are smaller than most sonys and barcos )

It is really easy to install, ideal for a beginner !!

Have a think about and if your interested, let me know.
    You can even visit for a demo without much hassel.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi......

sounds like it might be interesting. I'll have a look for some info on it....... then i'll get back to you when i know more!

ad

15. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add a word of encouragement.
    I bought a BD800 for £500 from Loot.
    Roland sorted out the nigling problems I had by replacing a board for £60 odd.
    Built a screen with blackout material for about £50
    Bought second hand Videologic DTS speaker package £150
    Built a near fanless near silent pc for about £300 including IR KB/mouse
    RicherSounds are doing a learning remote for £3 ish (+p&P)
    Spent many sleepless nights programming Girder etc (more to come Im sure)
    Pace DTTV box into a hauppauge card
    Various software players, PVR, codecs etc

Thats scaled DTTV and DVD in DTS5.1, CRT projected onto a 70" 16x9 screen for about the same as a cheap LCD projector or posh 32" TV. (untold thanks to all the people in here that provided both the inspiration and the know how)

I know there are far better systems possible, but it seems to me it would be hard to get purer pixels per penny. And I thoroughly enjoy the experience it provides.
    I hanker after decent sound systems far more then a better projector.

Dimensions for BD 800 (I think the 801 is the same size) but this gives no idea of just how big it will actually look in your room, And it insists on taking the best seat too :(

Best of luck

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks........ unfortunately things are looking down at the moment. The lack of interest in my lcd means no cash just yet........

ad

17. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just goes to show that there are still some discerning people out there. hold on in there it will go.

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Despite not having sold my little machine....... i have become a member of the crt club! Not as i had been expecting.......a seleco svp 400 from ebay....... it was at a very good price, so i thought it wouldnt hurt to try it and see......i can always upgrade if it isnt good enough!

:D

ad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.