Last Seen Alive (Sky / NowTV) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Watched it yesterday, 5/10 is about right for this one.
The short runtime helps :)

Watched it yesterday, 5/10 is about right for this one.
The short runtime helps :)

This is something you can watch and want to see finished where as the Interceptor which got 5/10 was total garbage, hard to stay awake and i gave up at some point.

Watched it this morning instead of the latest Jurassic flick. My take -

Last Seen Alive (2022)

"I think we need a break..."

From the hideously generic title (the working one was even worse -Chase) to it's Breakdown 'lite' premise, Brian Goodman's new missing persons thriller fails to break much new ground, but it might just satisfy as a solid by the numbers Friday night movie.
Nutshell premise - Gerald Butler's and Jamie Alexander's fractured couple stop for gas, and wouldn't you just know it - Alexander disappears seemingly in fresh air. Cue lots of anxiety and shouting from Butler...
It's gritty, 'in your face' opening scenes see the film set it's stall out early on, and in terms of the story it ultimately tells, there's barely an ounce of fat on it. The near enough 90 minute run time sees the plot move along in swift fashion, with a few red herrings, and plot contrivances along the way.
Jamie Alexander has more than touch of the ice queen about her, and her stuttering marriage to Butler left in me no doubt as to who's side I was on. Neither character is without their
significant flaws though, especially Butler(and his actions) as the movie progresses. Butler does an admirable enough job as the everyman thrust into an extraordinary scenario, and it's to the film's credit that he doesn't fall into the indestructible caricature that he's played so many times previously. Hot on heels of last year's excellent disaster flick Greenland, I prefer these sort of roles for Butler, and it's nice to see him using his natural accent,
Aside from a well known lead actor, the movie's slimline budget is always apparent (although to be fair it's made the best of), never more so than a very obviously cg assisted shot that unfortunately pulled me out of the experience. The third act is positively dripping in tension, helped in no small part by it's dread filled and imposing Sicario like score.
Given the similar premise, if we must make a comparisons, Last Seen Alive doesn't hold a candle to Johnathon Mostow's superior 90s thriller Breakdown and Kurt Russell's tortured husband still far excels in terms of entertainment value. Last Seen Alive is along the lines of a Netflix film of the week, but even if it's story has been told in better fashion elsewhere, it's still worth checking out as a streaming freebie.

6.5/10

Last edited:
I'm gonna watch this anyway and didn't have high hopes so a six is reassuring enough.

The line in the ad that peaked my interest was the little dig at Taken... "I'm a simple guy, I don't have any particular special skills. I'm not secret service, not special forces... but if someone hurts my wife".

Will watch next week and hope there's a HDR version available by then.

Last edited:
Might give it a watch wouldn’t of minded seeing him as Snake Plissken,but after seeing Wyatt Russell in the very underrated Overlord I think he might be better

I'm gonna watch this anyway and didn't have high hopes so a six is reassuring enough.

The line in the ad that peaked my interest was the little dig at Taken... "I'm a simple guy, I don't any particular special skills. I'm not secret service, not special forces... but if someone hurts my wife".

Will watch next week and hope there's a HDR version available by then.
That kind got me hooked too. I don't it's a spoiler to say (like many trailer moments) it doesn't make the final movie!

A very poor film from a genre that has been done to death and then some.

1/10

The saturation was a bit strange as well.

Already sounds better than Copshop, which was more meh than a field overcrowded with goats.

Already sounds better than Copshop, which was more meh than a field overcrowded with goats.
Watched it last night, it’s better than Copshop but so is spending the night on the toilet.
Generically competent. I’m sure if Butler got a new agent he could have a really good end to his career.
5/10

I do love me some Gerry Butler and I especially love me some low rent Gerry Butler but alas there wasn’t any ‘head stabbing Gerry Butler’ or ‘unnecessarily violent Gerry Butler’ so sadly it was an all round disappointing Gerry Butler film.

Bring on Den Of Thieves 2.

On the whole an enjoyable film with a few annoyances.

Inept detective who ignores obvious leads decides to also ignore evidence of potential murders out of embarrassment after man finds his own wife without police help.

Was nice to see Lady Sif in something else but I a small part of me wanted Butler to say at the end "I'm giving you that alone time you wanted" and close the shed door on her :p.

Bring on Den Of Thieves 2.
The audio from the gun battle was awesome

Lady Sif was actually terrible in this too. Didn’t help that the character was thinly drawn and extremely dislikable but still….

I don’t know how anyone can sit and watch a full Gerard Butler movie in order to review it, he is a horrifically bad actor.

Pretty good movie but why the detective nor Gerard Butler notice that the passenger door was being held open indicating a strong presumption that she got in & that it wouldn't have been her idea. Secondly, despite the semi truck blocked their view, his wife net assumed her initial direction of travel; which was toward her husband's car. Last but not least, why doesn't the detective check with the Motor Vehicle Administration to find the owner of that historic black car immediately? It's a small town and most likely only one of those cars is registered. It really made the story unbelievable. The director should have cut that scene on tape as soon as she spoke to the handyman and before showing the car door open. Maybe show a view of a different camera just suggestive of a passenger. Really made them both appear inadequate.

Just caught up with this last night & I really enjoyed it. OK, it's nothing new (I haven't seen Breakdown) & the story behind the missing wife might not be too convincing once we know it in full & the ending is a bit limp, but the majority of the film is pretty tense, Butler is as reliable as ever, the music is effective at tension-building & it's a nice 90 minute B movie.

Just caught up with this last night & I really enjoyed it. OK, it's nothing new (I haven't seen Breakdown) & the story behind the missing wife might not be too convincing once we know it in full & the ending is a bit limp, but the majority of the film is pretty tense, Butler is as reliable as ever, the music is effective at tension-building & it's a nice 90 minute B movie.

You should rectify that. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom