Last Questions (I think LOL): Al Jazeera Sport; KU and C Band LNB

VJVJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Last questions before I get a system, I hope. Just waiting to get the all clear; thought I was gonna get it in September but I hope I can get it around 20th-25th July.
I have alot of questions but I'm sure they're pretty easy to answer with all the pros on here!

I always appreciate the help as always

1. Al Jazeera Sport (AJS). How big a dish do I need? I can see that you can get the channels on Hotbird so I assume a motorised 80-90cm would be more than okay

2. Where is the best place to get an AJS subscription? Roughly how much

3. AJS Is it a one off payment per year or do I have to pay monthly?

4. I always search stuff before asking because it might be already answered. I searched AJS and I saw some people were losing channels; Has this issue been repaired?

5. What is the difference between a KU band and C band LNB ?

6. Regardless of the band (KU or C), will I still able to get whatever channels I want

(From Europe of course. A few of you might remember I was ambitious in trying to get channels from the USA/North American Region :laugh: For some deluded ambitous reason I still think I might be able to pick up SportsMax (Caribbean Sports Channel). I'm silly like that but I did see that someone picked it up in Czech Republic Once funny enough but on a super massive dish I think. The ones TV Channels, News Corps have on their premises :laugh: Link: Intelsat 805 at 55.5°W | CZECH AND SLOVAK DX SATELLITE CLUB)

7. I'm gonna go with Purple Sat. My gut feeling tells me they're a good company. They're patience (especially with me with the amount of questions I ask) , knowledge and helpfulness tells me they're a good company. Website very detailed! Anyone had experience with them?
Don't why I'm asking I know I'm gonna go with them unless someone tells me some madness:laugh:

You can pickup the Al Jazeera Sport channels on 13.0E on a relatively small dish. An 80cm dish would be more than enough that's for sure.

I assume you're going for a motorised setup hence the larger dish?

If not and you just want AJS then a smaller dish would be suitable.

7. I'm gonna go with Purple Sat. My gut feeling tells me they're a good company. They're patience (especially with me with the amount of questions I ask) , knowledge and helpfulness tells me they're a good company. Website very detailed! Anyone had experience with them?
Don't why I'm asking I know I'm gonna go with them unless someone tells me some madness:laugh:

Pedro travelled down to me to do my set up, he done an excellent job and i was more then happy with the job and price.My set up is actually pictured on his site.:D

As for AJS, like posted you can get it on 13e very easily.I've got a 1m dish and i'm able to get AJS 1-5 and the HD channels on 7w.:) Something i could never do on my old sat up.

I'd go for as big a dish as you can as there's plenty out there to watch, wish i'd gone for 1.2 now.

AJS cards can be brought for anytbing from 100-200£
Al Jazeera Sports Viewing Card 12 Month New Channels with Champions League (Hotbird)

Al Jazeera Sports Viewing Card 10 Channels Irdeto 12 Month

Also Ebay sell them.

Can i ask what box your buying?

My Dish is the top 1
http://www.purplesat.com/index.php?p=1_14_GALLERY

Wish i'd taken a picture of old set up a s it was half way down the house and stood out well bad, now people don't even notice the dish as it was put much further up, before i couldn't get anything past 28e as it would just hit the wall. Pedro done an excellent job and sorted it all out for me.

Last edited:

5. What is the difference between a KU band and C band LNB ?

KU band is mostly what we use & generally needs a smaller dish - C Band usually requires a bigger dish (1.8-2.4m) but you can start to receive C band on about 90cm -1m in the UK- C Band uses larger LNBs, there are 2 main transmission methods- linear & circular* & to swap between them you need to swap a plate inside the LNB (you also get circular KU, but mostly we use linear).

There are a few methods to do KU & C band on one dish - the easiest using a combined C & KU band lnb (not always as good as single LNBs & there is still the plate swapping to do), or place C & KU lnbs side by side, but the best IMO is stacking them one on top of another & using an inclined actuator to move each LNB into the focus.

I can see that you can get the channels on Hotbird so I assume a motorised 80-90cm would be more than okay
Much more than OK - you'd get those on a fixed Sky dish.
You don't actually say that you want anything more than that, but if you do then your 80-90 with a motor would get any reasonable requirements that you may have.

7. I'm gonna go with Purple Sat. My gut feeling tells me they're a good company. Anyone had experience with them?

Yep, Pedro installed mine too, I hate to sound like a fanboy but you'll struggle to find anyone more knowledgeable and passionate about the job. He does a top job with high quality components and will make sure your happy.

If you can go a little bigger and get a TD110 for a bit more margin on 7W, there's some JSC HD channels there and more free English content.

Pedro travelled down to me to do my set up, he done an excellent job and i was more then happy with the job and price.My set up is actually pictured on his site.:D

As for AJS, like posted you can get it on 13e very easily.I've got a 1m dish and i'm able to get AJS 1-5 and the HD channels on 7w.:) Something i could never do on my old sat up.

I'd go for as big a dish as you can as there's plenty out there to watch, wish i'd gone for 1.2 now.

AJS cards can be brought for anytbing from 100-200£
Al Jazeera Sports Viewing Card 12 Month New Channels with Champions League (Hotbird)

Al Jazeera Sports Viewing Card 10 Channels Irdeto 12 Month

Also Ebay sell them.

Can i ask what box your buying?

My Dish is the top 1
GALLERY » purplesat.com - Satellite & Aerial TV Installations & products.

Wish i'd taken a picture of old set up a s it was half way down the house and stood out well bad, now people don't even notice the dish as it was put much further up, before i couldn't get anything past 28e as it would just hit the wall. Pedro done an excellent job and sorted it all out for me.

Technomate 5402HD

Much more than OK - you'd get those on a fixed Sky dish.
You don't actually say that you want anything more than that, but if you do then your 80-90 with a motor would get any reasonable requirements that you may have.

To be honest FTA Channels from France, Italy (e.g Rai Sport)
Athletics feeds from Europe.
Football which would be AJS.

Only problem is that has to be at the back of the house over the gutter (mother et al don't like satellite dishes). Chimmey might be a the way forward because I assume the roof would block the dish from receive signals unless on a really long pole to give it a clear view.

Best thing about it is that I could probably take the dish when I move (Correct?)

Also would I have been able to pick this up on a 80-90cm?

Reported by fabrizio on 2012-07-01 01:51 am
0 Comment
Eutelsat W3A (7.0°E)
Frequency: 12676 - Pol: H - SR: 6111 - FEC: -
Category: Sport - Autres
Transmitted in: MPEG-2 4:2:0 (PAL)
Comments: athletics, jamaica trials
I messaged a fella on YouTube who uploaded a video from this event, he was the same guy who put the results on satelliweb, and he got this from Italy on a 1meter. Only reason I ask because the footage is initally from Jamaica

Last edited:
Yep, Pedro installed mine too, I hate to sound like a fanboy but you'll struggle to find anyone more knowledgeable and passionate about the job. He does a top job with high quality components and will make sure your happy.

If you can go a little bigger and get a TD110 for a bit more margin on 7W, there's some JSC HD channels there and more free English content.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

When you mean more content in English what do you mean ??
If you have the time to share please do :) but I must stress I will not be going any bigger than 90cm!

0 Comment
Eutelsat W3A (7.0°E)

It's a feed in the clear and not encrypted so in theory yes you could, BUT different satellites broadcast at varying power levels and feeds in particular can be lower powered than normal channels on a sat.

VJVJ said:
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

If you have the time to share please do :) but I must stress I will not be going any bigger than 90cm!

If its that far up on to the chimney you wouldn't even notice difference between 90-1.1m dish, tell them it's 90. Lol

There are several FTA movie channels and some general entertainment too that is broadcast in English but with foreign subtitles. See the PurpleSat website for an indication of what is there and Etfarag! | Your Personal TV Guide .. for scheduling.

Pedro came to me with a TD88 and TD110 so I could see the size difference, the poor chap was up and the down the ladder holding them in position. :D When you hold them side by side you can see the difference, but when installed and particularly if it's at height you'd struggle to notice. Mine is at head height and approx 15ft from a Sky Minidish but you soon get used to the size.

To be honest FTA Channels from France, Italy (e.g Rai Sport)
Athletics feeds from Europe.
Football which would be AJS.

Only problem is that has to be at the back of the house over the gutter (mother et al don't like satellite dishes). Chimmey might be a the way forward because I assume the roof would block the dish from receive signals unless on a really long pole to give it a clear view.

Every property is different, each with it's own 'issues', going over the back of & aiming over the roof is harder to do properly but quite a common job & the plus is the roof can then shield the dish from noise so it works better.

Best thing about it is that I could probably take the dish when I move (Correct?)

yes

0 Comment
Eutelsat W3A (7.0°E)
Comments: athletics, jamaica trials
I messaged a fella on YouTube who uploaded a video from this event, he was the same guy who put the results on satelliweb, and he got this from Italy on a 1meter. Only reason I ask because the footage is initally from Jamaica

12674H is on the Europe A beam - should be very strong in the UK & plenty of rain margin on a 90.

12674H is on the Europe A beam - should be very strong in the UK & plenty of rain margin on a 90.

Would you recommend on the chimmey or over the gutter since I don't want the dish in the front?

I do find it amazing how much a matter of centimeters can make a difference! Thanks to everyone for your help so far!

A bracket on the wall sticking out far enough to take a pole above the eaves and high enough to take the dish.
That's if you really need it, so first enter your location, and to begin with the 19E satellites, at DishPointer.com.

Would you recommend on the chimmey or over the gutter since I don't want the dish in the front?
..!

it's all about surveying- there's so many different property designs & location issues etc.. & you can also go through the roof, come off a gable end, if there is one, ground mount it ..

it's all about surveying- there's so many different property designs & location issues etc.. & you can also go through the roof, come off a gable end, if there is one, ground mount it ..

I just want it at the back of the house really. Not on a long pole if possible and on the roof of the bathroom but soon as I get confirmation I can call you and discuss all!

Thanks for all the help!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom