1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last piece of the puzzle

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by roone, Apr 22, 2005.

1. roone

roone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a first-timer putting together a modest home cinema system. Here's what I have so far:

Sagem HD-D45 Rear Projection DLP
    Denon 1910 DVD
    Aesprit 5.1 Speakers

The last essential is some sort of amp/receiver to drive my audio. The system will mainly be used for Sky and DVD. But, would also like to play the occasional audio CD.

Whatever I decide on, I would like it to be as future-proof as possible.

Also, any suggestions on affordable speaker cabling? (I've got a big lounge)

Thanks for your help. You guys have been an invaluable resource. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Roone

2. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roone,

Congrats on you recent purchases!! The HD-D45 owners have been quiet lately. How do you rate the screens performance with your Denon DVD player?? In terms of a AV reciever you do get what you pay for I currently have the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R,a fine amp , however I am considering changing it for the Yamaha 750. Like you I want a system that will grow with the technology and the Yamaha is capable of running 7:1 surround and has a wide range of inputs. Retailing at approx £350 the Yamaha was a little out of my price range at the time as I had purchased the 540R at the same time as my HD-D45, DVD player and cables, but now seems to be a good value proposition for me.
    In terms of cables, im sure everyone will agree here, spend as much as you can afford on cables these are the arteries of your system and considering you have already shelled out over £2000 on AV kit investing in good quality cables is a must!

Regards :thumbsup:

3. roone

roone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Riva,

Thanks for your input.

I must say I very, very pleased with the PQ of the Sagem. I would urgent anyone considering buying a plasma to view this unit side-by-side. The Sagem with the DVI input is stunning. No complaints. There are times, while watching a DVD, where I just have to admire the clarity and detail. Sky broadcasts vary as you know, but in general are acceptable.

I want to avoid any potential lip-synch issues with the audio, hence my caution on picking an amplifier.

Rg

4. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roone,

It now seams that the lipsync issues I am experiencing (very frustrating) are due to the DV79 player not performing via dvi, and not an inherant problem with the 540R. There are many forum members who speak highly of the cambridge Audio amp and I dont want you to be put off giving it an audition. How have you connected your Denon to the SAGEM ? Have you had any problems with your HD-D45? - as I am now on my 3rd set now as the early units had teething problem - very happy now.

5. roone

roone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I am running my DVI output from the Denon into the Sagem, and RCA out from the Denon directly into the Sagem (speakers havent arrived yet).

No problems with the Sagem (fingers crossed).

rg

6. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roone,

Are you using the SAGEM`s SPDIF IN/OUT to connect your digi coaxial? This is the reccomended route for the audio conections to avoid lipsync problems. In addition to this the manual says to not use the tv`s own speakers when using a seperate AV amp, i made the mistake of just setting the internal speaker volume to 0 which is wrong you actually need to go into the options menu and turn the loudspeaker off. it is also reccomended to turn the set to eco made to avoid any `over bright` images - this also prolongs the lamp life - bonus!