Last of Us 2 HDR colors bland and dark

Juxtafras

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I finally found the time to play this game and have a question about its HDR mode. When I calibrate my Sony 385ES projector for HDR in the PlayStation 4 Pro settings, the home screen is bright and vibrant.

Then when I launch the TLOU2 with its HDR options enabled the colors turn drab and pale for some reason. Are the games HDR settings duplicative and messing up the ps4 pros HDR settings? Was this intentional by the makers of the game to make the colors very pale? It doesn't look very impressive compared to other games I've played in HDR on the PS4 or other systems. The red in the left image of HDR settings page of the game looks is very pale in color with HDR on but a bright bright red with HDR off.

I've tried all of the various picture calibration options in the projectors settings , the games hdr options and turning hdr off and on but nothing looks perfect. Shouldn't the game look vibrant with color popping? Shouldn't the gras be a normal spring green? Or did they intend for it to look like a post apocalyptic grass where everything is depressing?

If I turn the game's HDR off, the colors are vibrant but the clouds are all bright white.

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide. I've looked in youtube videos and it looks like the hdr colors should pop more than I'm seeing (like my ps4 pro home page look).

So I finally found the time to play this game and have a question about its HDR mode. When I calibrate my Sony 385ES projector for HDR in the PlayStation 4 Pro settings, the home screen is bright and vibrant.

Then when I launch the TLOU2 with its HDR options enabled the colors turn drab and pale for some reason. Are the games HDR settings duplicative and messing up the ps4 pros HDR settings? Was this intentional by the makers of the game to make the colors very pale? It doesn't look very impressive compared to other games I've played in HDR on the PS4 or other systems. The red in the left image of HDR settings page of the game looks is very pale in color with HDR on but a bright bright red with HDR off.

I've tried all of the various picture calibration options in the projectors settings , the games hdr options and turning hdr off and on but nothing looks perfect. Shouldn't the game look vibrant with color popping? Shouldn't the gras be a normal spring green? Or did they intend for it to look like a post apocalyptic grass where everything is depressing?

If I turn the game's HDR off, the colors are vibrant but the clouds are all bright white.

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide. I've looked in youtube videos and it looks like the hdr colors should pop more than I'm seeing (like my ps4 pro home page look).

I've yet to replay TLOU2 on the PS5 but, I can assure you (from memory), playing it on the PS4 Pro, it was one of the greatest looking games I'd ever seen/played.

Be sure to match the RGB setting with the black level on whatever you're playing it on. Otherwise, anything you play will look dark.

Most TVs are low black level by default and so it goes the RGB level on the PlayStation should be set to limited accordingly. Not left on the default of 'automatic'.

I apologise if you know all this already, thought it worth double checking, just in case;).

Upvote 0
I've yet to replay TLOU2 on the PS5 but, I can assure you (from memory), playing it on the PS4 Pro, it was one of the greatest looking games I'd ever seen/played.

Be sure to match the RGB setting with the black level on whatever you're playing it on. Otherwise, anything you play will look dark.

Most TVs are low black level by default and so it goes the RGB level on the PlayStation should be set to limited accordingly. Not left on the default of 'automatic'.

I apologise if you know all this already, thought it worth double checking, just in case;).
Thank you for your reply. I tried limited and full rgb levels which didn't make a difference. What I was able to do was increase the color setting on my projector from 50 to 100 and boom I got what I wanted. The grass was a vibrant green in the sunlight and dark green in the shade while also retaining the varying colors of gray and white in the clouds.

For me it was quite a bit complicated to solve this issue. I had already messed with every other setting combination that I could find on the ps4 pro and my projector. Nothing else helped but this one setting change. Now the fungus are a creepy bright red, yellow and orange on their faces but their bodies are quite a bit darker. Im really enjoying the beauty of this amazing game that I've been really looking forward to!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom