1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last of the 'Freeview' space now occupied by Ideal World

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by PhilipVass, Apr 24, 2004.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Source: http://www.shoppingtelly.com/

Shopping and Travel:
    Channel 6 - ITV-2 (1 Hours, 30 minutes Teleshopping)
    Channel 11 - Sky Travel (2 hours of holiday deals per day.)
    Channel 16 - QVC
    Channel 20 - Ftn (2 hours of holiday deals per day.)
    Channel 22 - Now Ideal World
    Channel 23 - Bid-up.tv
    Channel 24 - Price-drop.tv

Even TUTV:
    TCM - Teleshopping (Limited to 15 minutes)

News and Views:
    Channel 40 - BBC NEWS 24
    Channel 41 - ITV NEWS
    Channel 42 - SKY NEWS
    Channel 43 - Sky Sports News
    Channel 45 - BBC PARLIMENT
    Channel 46 - Community Channel

Again even TUTV:
    Channel 44 - Bloomberg (5am - 10am)

Sad news...I am very pleased with TMF's output at the moment, i am really enjoying 'Sexy Dismissed', great show, i watch it every night, Behind the music is also quite good, kind of makes up for the Ftn they need to get that 6pm to 8pm slot sorted that's when i watched most TV.

But really, TMF, The Hits and Sky Travel are the only channels to improve sine the launch of FV.

I am surprised EMAP have not got 'Magic' on ch22 it would have been much better, more variety and The Hits would not need to go classic.

I suppose we have not lost anything bar 2 hours from Ftn which TMF have returned, the Ideal World channel sounds permanent which is very bad news, their was a rumour that it would share with 'Freesport' but it appears not, did i not read May 1st launch?, if so then it could be good news, the LCN has not been altered yet so i suppose it might only be a temporary arangement.

2. MatthewS

MatthewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh great! More [swearing removed - read the rules regarding this-lynx] useless shopping channels cloging up the waves. :mad: :mad:

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Dreadful news - what about freesport?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Capitalism & the free market at work, makes you proud:)

5. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why can't they put a sports channel in ?

If it was me I'd have put Sky One on the TUTV service.

6. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Possible a rights issue that's why their is no Sky One, and as for sport well Setanta did prove interested in launching a channel not so long back so did CBM aka 'FreeSport' probably a fiancee problem stopping them as they have obtained all the rights required for the channel.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Good sports rights cost as lot of money and while DTT will in time have 20million housholds the current takeup is far to small to generate good advertising revenues.
    Which is why many of the current channels also generate a lot of cash from being in a SKY subscription.

As for SKY1 I would suspect IF SKY were asked about supplying SKY1 then the cost to TUTV would be so high as to make the package price uncompetitive.
    TUTV can only possibly survive by offering a handful of channels at a price considerably less than the SKY Family package, adding SKY1 would increase the price too much.
    It would very interesting to see exactly how the TUTV subscriptions are spread around the channels, I would think it's not an equal share:)

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A sports channel would have been good as currently there is none on Freeview at all.

A good variety would be good for anybody.

I'd like to see muddy motorsports and motorcycle racing.

9. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not all that fussed on what is on there instead, infact I'd rather see the space empty than occupied with bloody shopping channels.

With such limited capacity on the service it's a disgrace how much capacity is occupied by that rubbish.

:thumbsdow

10. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not all that fussed on what is on there instead, infact I'd rather see the space empty than occupied with bloody shopping channels.

With such limited capacity on the service it's a disgrace how much capacity is occupied by that rubbish.

:thumbsdow

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
  12. MatthewS

MatthewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too. Once the shopping channels are there, I can't see them being replaced if another channel wanted to get onto the mux.

Well I see this as a problem. Surely it can't be a draw to people to get digital tv if the only bonus they get is 5 or 6 poor quality shopping channels? If the government wants to get people on to digital tv, then the regulator needs to give people some kind of incentive to switch. I can't see this happening if the only extras are a half-baked subscription service that 99% of people can't receive, and shopping channels that sell useless tat.

:mad: :thumbsdow

13. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Why, you will recieve the same as is available at the moment plus more- BBC 3&4,ITV 2 etc.Switching to digital without tutv is giving more choice.

14. MatthewS

MatthewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the 'plus more' doesn't include much quality programming. While some of the stuff on BBC 3 and BBC 4 is good, most of it is constantly repeated. ITV 2 is a complete waste of time, as is ftn. In order to get the vast majority of people to want to go out and buy a £100 STB (not talking about tech minded people like the majority here, but your average Joe Schmo), you need to give them something more so they go "Hey, we really must get one of those Electronic DVD TV thingies!". Your average punter simply isn't interested in spending 50 pints of beer tokens to get the same channels in widescreen when they don't even have a widescreen tv.

Matt. :)

15. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Not my cup of tea, however, some people do like shopping channels - look at the revenue QVC generates, real cash cow, so it must interest a lot of people regardless of what you might think. Putting sport on t.v. is like a red rag to a bull as far as I am concerned, but I recognise that a lot of people could sit there all day watching nothing but a diet of sport programmes. Variety is the spice of life, and if we all liked the same things the world would be a dull place. Freeview is always going to be a poor relation to Sky and people need to recognise this fact. I have Freeview on a t.v. upstairs, however, I couldn't contemplate replacing Sky in the living room in favour of Freeview. Again my choice, my views, which we are all entitled to have.

16. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0