1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last of the 435XDE's

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Pagnobito, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is my first post, however I have read a lot of the site and various reviews, and checked out the screens at various places in previous weeks.

I like the Pannyvera500, the Hitachi 42PD7500 and the Pioneer435XDE.
    To me they all seem pretty similar, so it comes down to price and looks. I will probably use a pedestal for all of them.

Comet have got the last of the 435XDE panels on display at £2199, is this a good price? I can't find any on the net now as the 436 is out soon, but last week the cheapest place with stock was about £2384+speakers and stand, the comet one includes the stand and silver speakers.
    I'm not sure about buying a display model, it looks ok, no damage.

Otherwise I will try and find one of the other two in the net.

Incidentally I went to a couple of AV showrooms in the area today to try and compare, but both had sold out of all their plasmas, except for one Hitachi7500. I do like the titanium colour frame.

So should I get the one from Comet if it is still there?

2. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good response, maybe I should leave my thread a little longer?

Upon reflection, I am in no hurry and will wait for the 436XDE as that will be in the local AV showroom in a few weeks hopefully.

3. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Dont buy an ex display unless you get a massive discount - it will have been used for a high number of hours in high contrast mode already

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well do you buy used screen which cant handle sky or terrestrial well for £2200 or buy the latest brand new model which can and comes with a 3 year warrantyfor £400 more?

Does it make sense when its spelt out......................

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    Absolutely spot on.

6. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    so the 435XDE does not do freeview well? I have decided to wait for the 436 anyway, or another alternative. Will the 436XDE be any better then?

I looked at the Hitachi 42DP7500 running in several modes incl freeview and it looked pretty good to me for a large screen.

7. pdc00

pdc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 435/505 XDE look excellent on Freeview to me. Haven't seen a TV looking better on Freeview. Would say the Philips 9986 LCD and Sony LCD (don't know model) looked just as good (I know the Philips was using RBG input from a Freeview box since it doesn't have a digital tuner), but nothing wrong with the Pio to my eyes.

One of the advantages of built in digital tuner is that you skip the Digital -> RGB analogue -> Digital conversion of using a Freeview box, hence I doubt you'll get better quality from any Plasma that doesn't have a built in digital tuner, using a Freeview box.

Also don't see the problem with Sky - using RGB SCART it looks a bit better than Freeview in fact (as it should so I'm told, the bitrates are often higher).

Cheers
    Phil

8. pdc00

pdc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure the 436XDE/506XDE will look even better BTW, I was just pointing out I don't think there is anything particularly lacking in the 5 series Pioneers' Freeview & Sky compared to the other Plasmas you can buy TODAY.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Pioneer have recieved a number of complaints/problems with Freeview picture, and it's an area they have apparently addressed with the 436. They still look too 'plastic' and 'digital' to me, the XDE range never has impressed me though. I guess it's a good plug and play plasma TV, just that's as far as it goes. As for £2200 for a used one from a retail chain, they are pulling your chain hard. Offer them £1200!

10. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The decision over which screen to buy seems to mean different things to different people, I can read reviews, audition them in showrooms, check the technical details, and choose the one I like the look of, but on different days the displays look good on one model and then the other screen I was looking at looks better than the first another time.

I wonder why, apart from a larger and flatter screen, would I spend a couple of grand or so on a new TV that has a degraded picture on the bulk of broadcasts that I currently watch on my 7 yr old 32" philips CRT. I realise that is to do with the size of the screen, and info to fill it and DVD's will look ok, and when HD comes along it will be better, but the way things are going won't there be better panels and such by then anyway?

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    Pagnobito, I have a Panasonic 42" hd panel (not TV) and a scaler, my set up is fully HD compatible, and it looks better than any CRT I have ever owned, including top models from Sony, Toshiba, Philips, B&O and Loewe. It absolutely trounces any of them.

I have had 7 Pioneer 435/505XDE owners see my set up and they have all said it trounces what they have at home, 3 of them have sold them on and bought a Panny panel and a cheap Lumagen for less money.

The Pioneer is excellent when fed HD or DVD via a digital input, but the way it handles freeview is not very good at all, far better than a lot of sets, but still not something I could live with, same with sky, it doesn't handle the scart input very well at all.
    I got rid of mine.

If you buy the right set to start off with it will be much better than a 32" CRT! :)

12. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is obviously entirely subjective but I don't have any problems with watching Sky on the 435xde. Some of the lower bitrate channels can look a bit blocky but I think that is to be expected. Of course, I have never had the pleasure of seeing a set-up belonging to someone who knows what they're doing so maybe I'm miussing out.

By the way, what's the going price for a 8 month old 435xde?

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    Probably about the same as my HD6, sod all! :(

As soon as a new model is out everyone wants it, with the 436 being offered for £2300 I would say £1700 maybe 1800?

Look at it more like this, what is it going to cost to change? Would you pay £500 for the newer better model?

14. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi gizlaroc - can you remember where you saw the 436XDE for £2300?
    Cheers

15. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd consider it...if there was that much of a difference. I thought they might have upped the resolution but they haven't so I'm not sure there would be much point seeing as I'm happy with my Sky picture (I wonder if this is mainly down to the fact that I'm running it through a Denon 2805?). This has started me thinking (somewhat late in the day)...how does the display cope with 720p when it's only 1024x768?

16. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Is there much of a difference when you plug sky directly into the media box as opposed to going through the Denon?

Are you unhappy with your 435? I'm thinking of going for the 436 but have heard mixed reviews about the Pioneers (and pretty much every other plasma!)

17. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It goes through the media box via RGB scart and s-video into the Denon. It is very noticeable when switching between the two. Trouble is I spent a while tinkering with the display's settings on the Denon extension and I think the panel has different settings for different extensions so I couldn't tell you with any certainty how much is down to the Denon upconverting to component.

I'll try and have a mess around somethime this week and get back to you. I'm not at all unhappy with my Pio and have been very impressed by the image quality, especially when running DVDs and better quality Sky channels. Console games look good too. I haven't tried it with a HD source yet and this is an area in which this display is supposed to shine.

I think it's generally accepted that the Pannys and Pios are the best plasmas assuming you don't want to go down the panel/scaler route.

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I didn't see it at £2300, but there have been a couple of posts on here saying £2300, and the 50" is available for £3050 which is an amazing price.

19. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What is a scaler, and what does it do?

20. guypb

guypb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizlaroc, please elaborate on your set-up - I'd be well impressed if it matches any CRT. I have been looking at plasmas for a month now, and my decision is between the 435/436XDE, Panny PV500 or Hitachi PD7200/7500.

I'm always underwhelmed in pq at various stores but I hold out hope that it would be better when set up at home. However I always feel I am going to be disappointed against 29" CRT with Sky+.

What is an upscaler and what do you mean when you say you have an HD panel (not TV).

Any pics?

21. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
  22. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I could not live with any of the sets you have mentioned above, far too much digital processing going on in the image, not surprised you have been a bit miffed.

The consumer screens, ie screen with no speakers, tuner etc. etc. tend to have less in them to process the image, and that gives a cleaner signal, much sharper and free from noise and that general digital feel.

All panels are a certain resolution (some also need a certain frame rate too) and have to convert evry reolution they are given to match the panel, now every screen has its own built in de interlacer to convert interlaced to progressive and they also have a scaler to scale the resolution input either up or down to fit.
    The ones built into the screens are not very good, with probably the exception of the Fuji with their AVMII processing, so it is better to let a high quality processor do the deinterlacing and scaling and feed the panel the image pixel mapped, ie so one pixel coming out of the scaler matches one pixel on the screen. When this is down the screens cheap and chearful scaler is bypassed and you get a much sharper image.

You could go for something like the Panasonic HD7 and a Lumagen DVI for around £2600, a couple of hundred more than the Pioneer XDE but the image is not just slightly better, it absolutely trashes it!

If you want to come over to Norwich and see what a plasma can do you are more than welcome, just drop me a line, I have had quite a few XDE owners look at the combination I am using and all have said it is far better than the XDE with DVD and shockingly better with Sky.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    We are talking here about the difference between hi fi separates and your dad's music centre, chaps. If you are music buffs, you don't buy a ghetto blaster do you? So, if you are fussy about your TV, you have to go separates, as the market stands at the moment.

24. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    :rotfl:

Excellent!

That is a perfect comparison.

25. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizlaroc
    You could go for something like the Panasonic HD7 and a Lumagen DVI for around £2600, a couple of hundred more than the Pioneer XDE but the image is not just slightly better, it absolutely trashes it!

Where could this be purchased from for this price please. The only place I can find is Liam's and the panel on it's own is £2600? Pricerunner etc dont seem to show any results. If both as you say can be purchased for this price I would be very interested.
    Thanks
    Jim

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    www.av-sales.com are doing the panel, with dual slot board and a choice of wall bracket or stand for £1950 delivered, and Martin above (MAW) can also get good prices on stuff if you ask nicely :)

The Lumagen is on offer for £695 at the mo which is a great price.

27. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    Having looked, you may be out of luck, they seem to have run out. Worth asking around though as it is a stunning combo.

28. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    aaah, I understand now. I will certainly be investigating the scaler and panel route, but that means starting again with looking at the kit and panels if I reject the Plasma TV sets on the market.
    If I get a magazine like home cinema will it advise on the best HD panel and scaler to run HD too?
    I am a bit far from Norwich to have a look.

29. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Lumagen HDP is £1295 (which is what would be required to run HD I think?)
    So I just find a latest generation panel with the correct slot card?

30. guypb

guypb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pagnobito, I'm with you - this is an avenue that I was unaware of, but will certainly investigate.

Keep us posted as to what you find out - the main thing for me is that I still haven't seen the Pio 436XDE - and the panel/upscaler would need to be competitive.