1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last night Jah Wobble rocked my world

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Rambo John J, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Best gig I've ever been to, bar none, in the last 15 years.
    If you're openminded towards music and Jah Wobble passes near you on his "Ode To Joy" Tour don't hesitate to go and see it. Support came from a quartet of wee fellas and a lady from Laos (South-East Asian neighbour of Vietnam for those that don't know their geography) that performed dub tunes in their native language accompanied by Jah W and his backing band (including renowned turntablist/sonic experimentalist genius Philip Jeck - a bit of a hero of mine and the main reason I was tempted to check it out) and incorporating an array of weird ethnic traditional instruments. They played for about an hour, and were amazing and then Jah and his band (minus the wee fellas) returned to the stage after a 10 minute bar break to bang out 2 hours of down tempo, heavily distorted freeform improvised world-ambient-jazz-dub skank that was so loud you could feel it in the pit of your stomach and up into your brainstem. It was outstanding stuff. Philip Jeck pulled out some sounds that had all my hair standing on end, there were all kinds of weird african and eastern instruments being thrown into the pot, aswell as a jazz trumpeter, guitarist, a drummer that hammered out some great breaks.... I don't think I stopped grinning all night. Excellent stuff. Like I said, best thing I've been to in years and to think it was only 5 minutes from my front door.:eek:
    I've got nothing but respect for a guy who has a sofa on stage and lies down on it whilst hammering out basslines loud enough to jarr the fillings from your teeth. Jah Wobble's a revelation. I'd never seen or heard anything from him in the last 10 years or thereabouts except a couple of tracks on channel 4 music programmes with his "Invaders of The Heart" years ago, an appearance on a track by The Orb, and a vague familiarity with his early Public Image Limited work with John Lydon, so I had no idea what to expect. To say I was blown away would be an understatement. It felt like I'd been on some kind of sonic journey by the time they finished and I walked out tired, bleary eyed (won't say why ;) ) and with a renewed interest in live music and a big cheesey :D

5 out of 5
    Catch them if you can, but maybe take some earplugs.

Now I'm off to bag some Jah Wobble CDs and catch up on what I've been missing out on.

2. Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She has a great ass but can't sing a note.

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Jah Wobble is a cockney geezer. He plays bass.

If that was a joke it went straight over my head.:rolleyes:

4. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nor me. Think first Ben, then post.:D

(plus, if she's fit, then ben dhur over ;) )

5. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    saw him a couple of years ago doing a free concert in croydon brilliant!!!!!new album out FLY getting rave reviews
    best bass player bar none :D
    check out take me to god,rising above bedlam, and live at hartlepool and manchester
    you wont be dissapointed

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915
    nice one. thanks

7. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, did you see him at Love Dub in manchester?

8. Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand by my comments.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben, if you like Cockeny gezzers' asses, you go ahed. We're not here to judge.

10. Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cockney Gezzers :eek: - oh deary deary me, perhaps I should have read Rambo's first post instead of just the title. I thought we were talking about Ms Jah Wobble, aka Jennifer Lopez :confused:.

Seems like a silly billy name for a man.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be a silly billy name but I've never heard Jo-Lo refered to as Jah Wobble and this guys name is, in fact, Jah Wobble. So cockeny geezers it is for you.

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915
    No, in Northampton at The "Roadmenders Centre"