Last minute question before purchase (LG c1 48”)

madman236

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I’ve been lurking on the forum researching and am ready to buy the LG C1 48” for my home office.

Question - I’m intending to buy from John Lewis as they also offer a 5 year warranty that includes burn in for an additional £140. Are there any other retailers I should look at as I’m keen for the warranty for peace of mind. e.g. richer sounds or LG direct?

Price of the tv is £1299 at all retailers and I’m keen on the C1 rather then the CX.

Also this is the wall mount I intend to use, if anyone has any other suggestions that would be appreciate.

Thanks
S

Honestly, I'd always go for Richer Sounds. From my experience they are much better to deal with should anything go wrong post sale.

Upvote 0
The insurance is excellent from JL namely since they are the only ones in UK to provide burn in.

But there was 2 things I did not like when I bought it over the phone with D&G, they told me it does not cover if the TV falls off the wall she mentioned it twice to me, id double check with them directly or over email before committing since insurance companies are very hit and miss and can easily say one thing and mean another, obviously whole point of accidental damage is that but perhaps not here with D&G I found it very devious and false.

2nd is Burn in... sure you can't put a price tag on peace of mind but there is a reason why richer sounds and every other UK retailer has not bothered to sell burn in cover, they feel LG has fixed the burn in issue, they could be right LG has gone overboard with the amount of anti-burn in mechanisms built in place so hopefully burn in could never occur in the first place. I felt my £140 JL/D&G insurance was like a paper weight to be honest after I had my CX, you could see the tech working and it felt like burn in couldn't occur even if I tried to do it on purpose but one of those things you only know till after you buy it....

Course £140 isn't too bad.

TV bracket looks ok its reasonable priced, like the mounting holes and design looks sturdy and decent you can of course find lots of tv mounts off amazon for £20-60 which are decent and better. Only issue is 25mm from away the wall is not the best, mines 16mm (Amazons own one about 20-25 quid), plus you have to factor in the bulky back bezel case of the C1 (same as CX) it really does stick out so your tv will stick out from the wall a good 60-70mm. So depending on how far away you are or how much space you have in your room it may not matter but its never nice to have a TV sticking out too far from the wall if you are closer say in a smaller room or bedroom you notice it sticking out way more, living room maybe not so much.

JL support is still ok, I did not have the best experience with my CX purchase though (lost £99 LG fn4 ear buds due to their website code not working) after 2.5 months my CX went faulty they were not interested in helping and smirking while giving me the LG support number which I guess is fine minus the poor attitude since 1st year faults fall to manufacturer especially after 30 day retailer policy drops out but imo it should be 90 days not 30. LG was unable to repair due to covid, got JL to start a refund/RMA process with LG due to it taking over 2 months which JL did and got the refund thru LG. So JL did sort it in end with a full refund somewhat redeeming themselves but barely.

Richer sounds I don't think would have given me the above headache at all, so this is something to bare in mind. Costco are another top option they give 90 day warranty then it drops to manufacturer warranty and apparently even if you have issues few years later sometimes they take the stock back and refund it which is amazing service not even heard RS do that. Currys not so bad either, if they don't repair in good time they refund it also but they too have the same 30 days then your only choice is LG under 1st year then years 2-5 are retailer.

Hopefully you get some ideas be it good or bad !

Upvote 0
The insurance is excellent from JL namely since they are the only ones in UK to provide burn in.

But there was 2 things I did not like when I bought it over the phone with D&G, they told me it does not cover if the TV falls off the wall she mentioned it twice to me, id double check with them directly or over email before committing since insurance companies are very hit and miss and can easily say one thing and mean another, obviously whole point of accidental damage is that but perhaps not here with D&G I found it very devious and false.

2nd is Burn in... sure you can't put a price tag on peace of mind but there is a reason why richer sounds and every other UK retailer has not bothered to sell burn in cover, they feel LG has fixed the burn in issue, they could be right LG has gone overboard with the amount of anti-burn in mechanisms built in place so hopefully burn in could never occur in the first place. I felt my £140 JL/D&G insurance was like a paper weight to be honest after I had my CX, you could see the tech working and it felt like burn in couldn't occur even if I tried to do it on purpose but one of those things you only know till after you buy it....

Course £140 isn't too bad.

TV bracket looks ok its reasonable priced, like the mounting holes and design looks sturdy and decent you can of course find lots of tv mounts off amazon for £20-60 which are decent and better. Only issue is 25mm from away the wall is not the best, mines 16mm (Amazons own one about 20-25 quid), plus you have to factor in the bulky back bezel case of the C1 (same as CX) it really does stick out so your tv will stick out from the wall a good 60-70mm. So depending on how far away you are or how much space you have in your room it may not matter but its never nice to have a TV sticking out too far from the wall if you are closer say in a smaller room or bedroom you notice it sticking out way more, living room maybe not so much.

JL support is still ok, I did not have the best experience with my CX purchase though (lost £99 LG fn4 ear buds due to their website code not working) after 2.5 months my CX went faulty they were not interested in helping and smirking while giving me the LG support number which I guess is fine minus the poor attitude since 1st year faults fall to manufacturer especially after 30 day retailer policy drops out but imo it should be 90 days not 30. LG was unable to repair due to covid, got JL to start a refund/RMA process with LG due to it taking over 2 months which JL did and got the refund thru LG. So JL did sort it in end with a full refund somewhat redeeming themselves but barely.

Richer sounds I don't think would have given me the above headache at all, so this is something to bare in mind. Costco are another top option they give 90 day warranty then it drops to manufacturer warranty and apparently even if you have issues few years later sometimes they take the stock back and refund it which is amazing service not even heard RS do that. Currys not so bad either, if they don't repair in good time they refund it also but they too have the same 30 days then your only choice is LG under 1st year then years 2-5 are retailer.

Hopefully you get some ideas be it good or bad !
Hi Fluxedman,

Many thanks for your detailed reply, its reassuring to know that burn-in preventative measures have improved which is backed up by user usage!

Re the mount, for background, the tv will sit in a room approx 8ft x 8ft with my desk approx 80cm deep so as flush to the wall as possible would be appreciated. Would you mind sharing the link where you got your 16mm wall mount from?

Usage of the tv will be hooking my MacBook Pro up via HDMI for remote working (MS Office Apps only) and Xbox Series X gaming. Occasionally I will use Disney + and Netflix though my surround system is in my living room and will likely use my Arctis 9x headphones for gameplay only.

I can eat the £140 hit for the burn-in for peace of mind, though I will be pushing D&G to confirm what constitutes accidental damage based on what you have said.

I've already ordered the mount I previously mentioned, I can return without issue though as it has not yet arrived. Re the C1, I intend to order tomorrow and hopefully will arrive Tuesday.

I can keep you (and others viewing the thread) of my progress.

Many thanks
S

Upvote 0
Hi Fluxedman,

Many thanks for your detailed reply, its reassuring to know that burn-in preventative measures have improved which is backed up by user usage!

Re the mount, for background, the tv will sit in a room approx 8ft x 8ft with my desk approx 80cm deep so as flush to the wall as possible would be appreciated. Would you mind sharing the link where you got your 16mm wall mount from?

Usage of the tv will be hooking my MacBook Pro up via HDMI for remote working (MS Office Apps only) and Xbox Series X gaming. Occasionally I will use Disney + and Netflix though my surround system is in my living room and will likely use my Arctis 9x headphones for gameplay only.

I can eat the £140 hit for the burn-in for peace of mind, though I will be pushing D&G to confirm what constitutes accidental damage based on what you have said.

I've already ordered the mount I previously mentioned, I can return without issue though as it has not yet arrived. Re the C1, I intend to order tomorrow and hopefully will arrive Tuesday.

I can keep you (and others viewing the thread) of my progress.

Many thanks
S

Sure its this one here :

Amazon product ASIN B07QKWK532
Nothing fancy per say, I went through quite a few wall mounts but think that was the only one flush enough and worked well with the CX. Only negatives I can mention is since its very close to the wall you may have issues trying to use rear connections like optical sound wire, headphones and that 4th hdmi port I think its on the back so I had to get the slimmest and smallest right angle cables or hdmi right angle or adaptors otherwise its a tight fit.

I too have an 80cm deep desk, the issue I found personally is it takes quite some adjusting too if you use it for work or gaming I actually found it too big so did not opt to re-buy or repair my faulty 48CX. Some users I know added mdf boards or extended their desk to create distance from themselves and screen and others pulled their chair back and others live with it. Not trying to stop one from purchasing it but this thing is mighty big.

What you can do is get the measurements of the the C1-48 and cut an cardboard box up and pin it to the wall and sit down for a few minutes, even then you still can't get the full scope of using it for work or gaming, but its some idea at least.

Maybe better to get D&Gs response in email so its in writing, I just found it iffy JL make it clear its covered for accidental damage online yet D&G say not if you knock it or it drops off the wall, basically what the 2 things that you only want.

Otherwise JLs 48inch C1 and insurance is still a solid choice, not everyone will get issues like I had id expect the vast majority to be ok.

Upvote 0
Thanks mate will take a look at the link.
One thing I should have mentioned is I’m currently using a song Bravia 42” tv as my main monitor. Compared to the C1 dimensions I’m looking at an extra 6cm height and width. I’m hoping it won’t make too much of a difference. If I was coming from a 27” or smaller I would feel the change even more.
Out of curiosity what r u using currently on your desk if the cx has gone?

I did look at the Aorus Fv43u but am still tempted by the C1.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks mate will take a look at the link.
One thing I should have mentioned is I’m currently using a song Bravia 42” tv as my main monitor. Compared to the C1 dimensions I’m looking at an extra 6cm height and width. I’m hoping it won’t make too much of a difference. If I was coming from a 27” or smaller I would feel the change even more.
Out of curiosity what r u using currently on your desk if the cx has gone?

I did look at the Aorus Fv43u but am still tempted by the C1.

Thanks

I have a dual set up so my daily screen is 27" 4K Monitor screen for PC, next to it is currently my 42" Samsung. I don't think I could use the LG CX as a daily really it was more for watching TV and doing work when I require 2 screens and have multi document/websites open.

But I do know when I went back to 42" Samsung I instantly realized just how too big the CX 48 was, 42" is perfect for my scenario and small room size, its hard to explain regarding screen sizes and room layouts one of those things where when its in front of you then you get that bearing with.

I do plan on getting the 42" Oled LG hopefully if it arrives this fall since LG said its due this year they did also say a 31" oled is coming im just hoping its a GX/G1 style flat design for both, id ideally replace both screens with that set up just sucks to wait.

That Aorus looks fantastic just wish it was oled, VA panels wont come as close as OLED imo.

Upvote 0
C5AFB859-E4BE-4B94-9432-C4FC97182235.png

5yr warranty and under £1000 at Costco 😉

Upvote 0
Ah man! Ended up picking up the C1 from JL for £1299 and got the extra warranty for piece of mind. Thanks though for the heads up!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom